Menu
Can we live without the air-condition?
Jul 30, 2008 02:59
  • ICEBERG
Daniella Isaacson, an American, has written an interesting article about the air-condition in China. In the article, she says that she has found out Chinese people seldom use the air-conditions because they think using air-conditions too much harms their bodies. In the place where she lives, there is an air-condition. However, no one use it even they feel sweaty. Finally, she buys her a fan to drive away the unbearable heat in summer.

Here I would like to say that not all Chinese seldom use the air-conditions. In my house, I use the air-condtion frequently in summer because it is too hot. Some people even turn on the air-condition for a whole night.

Do you use the air-condtion frequently at home? I am thinking about a question "Can we live without air-condition?
Jul 30, 2008 09:11
  • JABAROOTOO
I use the A/C in extreme contitions but prefer a fan to stir the air expecially at night.
A/C has a tendancy to dry out the air.

What I notice here in China is a lot of people using the A/C pumping out cold air at around 21C but also leaving doors and windows wide open.

I have also been told that most older people consider them to be unhealthy. That is the air that is circulated through them.

Unfortunatley the air in China is already pretty unhealthy with pollutants so I have a problem with this argument when I am dripping with sweat in 100% humidity and no breeze.
Jul 30, 2008 20:31
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Centralized air in the summer and heater in the winter in my home is set to auto. I just set it to maintain a certain temperature, most of the time a comfortable 77F. Once it reach that temperature, it automatically shuts down. Just set it and forget it.

As for whether we can live without air-con, sure we can. Air conditioning just makes life more comfortable, that’s all.
Jul 30, 2008 22:59
  • LEONARDO
In rurual China, Natural wind is best 'air-condition' in summer. In big cities. high-rise buildings and emission of greenhouse gas lead to the poor ventilation. Without air-condition, summer would be a tough time for city-dwellers.
Aug 10, 2008 18:37
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I am never without air condition. House, car, work, stores and civil buildings. It may sound extreme but come to California and feel the heat because it gets pretty nuts sometimes. But it creates an attitude in some that they refuse to go anywhere without AC.
Aug 11, 2008 12:49
  • GARYKINKADE
Air conditioning has turned me into a spoiled rotten older "brat" that needs to do more sweating.
There are solutions to this problem, I just need the impetus to do it.
Aug 11, 2008 17:45
  • JCNILE123
Yes we can, billions live without it.

However, if you have it and can afford it, then enjoy it.

If do not have it hitherto, it is ok... too, not a big deal.
Aug 11, 2008 20:34
  • CHERRY07
Air conditioning has turned me into a spoiled rotten older "brat" that needs to do more sweating.

Me too. Everytime I get back home in summer, I just do one thing---turning on AC. The heat in summer is unbearable.
Post a Reply to: Can we live without the air-condition?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code