Menu
Guilin or Yangshuo?
Aug 3, 2008 12:18
Hi,

I know this topic has popped up a few times, but I have a question not answered in previous posts.

I'm looking to go to either Guilin or Yangshuo for 2 days specifically for photography, but I really don't know which is better. Transport is also a factor as I arrive in Guilin on an early evening flight and can't find any details on how to get to Yangshuo from Guilin. I know it is a bus service, but I can't find when the last bus runs or how long the bus takes.

So, can anyone give some advice on (1) which is better for landscape and architectural photography and (2) how easy is is to get from Guilin to Yangshuo. It doesn't have to be bus, if other options exist.

Nearly finish planning the trip, but this is proving the hardest part.
Aug 3, 2008 13:35
  • DAVEC
For landscapes go to Yangshuo. I stayed just outside in the countryside and was in awe of the scenery, sadly I had rain and mist for my 2 days but it was well worth it.
I was lazy and got taxi from Yangshuo to Guilin, mainly because of the camera gear I was carrying. Think I paid about 180Y and it took less than an hour. Most of which was on 2 wheels dodging the rest of the traffic.
Aug 3, 2008 14:07
I've been doing some more reading and it seems a lot of Yangshuo hostels and hotels offer a 'taxi' pickup service from the airport. Since I'm arriving in the evening, this really cuts down on the hassle.

A lot of people seem to prefer Yangshuo - it's odd that guide books concentrate on Guilin!

Dave
Aug 3, 2008 14:26
  • DAVEC
Thats because Guilin is the built up tourist trap with silly prices and Yangshuo has still to catch up.

I stayed in a place called the Outside Inn, you can find it online. They are extremely friendly, speak English and serve some lovely food and drink. Its in the countryside so you can go walking on you own like I did or rent a bike.
If you are arachnopobic like me beware, when its night in your room you will be outnumbered by big 8 legged things.
Aug 3, 2008 22:52
  • ELLYSE
Also, look on http://www.yangers.com for lots of good information about Yangshuo -- so good that many unethical (Chinese) websites have taken to plagiarising it for their own!
Aug 3, 2008 23:26
  • BARONTWANGLE
"Guilin" refers to the entire region, of which Yangshuo is part of. Many foreigners assume that Guilin is just the city, but it is the county. If you're looking for landscapes then certainly avoid the city of Guilin, and I would also avoid Yangshuo town. Head for Xingping (40 mins by bus from Yangshuo). It's a quiet town (except when the tour buses arrive between 11am - 4pm) but there are a few cheap hotels there (50RMB per night for a private room and bathroom), and a few restaurants. You can walk for miles along the river path and get all the typical Guilin scenery. You can also easily climb to the top of a mountain (sorry can't remember its name) for sunrise, which will give you amazing views. There is also an ancient street in Xingping which will give you more options for photos if the weather is bad.

You can get the bus from the Guilin Bus Station, or from the Guilin train station. Both will cost 15RMB, but the one from the bus station will be more comfortable and quicker. The one from the train station stops along the way to pick people up and drop people off. If you are arriving at the airport (which is miles from the city), then get the city shuttle bus, and then a taxi to the bus station. Like Dave says, a taxi will cost close to 200RMB, so you can save a lot of money by taking the bus. A direct taxi to Xingping will cost at least an extra 100RMB.

You used to be able to climb the tallest mountain in Yangshuo (known as TV tower), but it is now closed to tourists. If you want to see the view you can get from the top of the Xingping mountian, you can check out my website - www.image-m.co.uk and go to the landscape section. You will find something there. It is well worth making the extra 40 minutes effort to get to Xingping, as it opens up so many more photography options. I am confused why you are only spending 2 days there?!
Aug 4, 2008 03:43
Baron,

Thanks for the information and the inspirational photographs. Xingping certainly sounds worth a visit, and I'm sure I can fit it in. Do you know if the busses there run early, say 6-8AM - it'll be nice to get there before the sun gets too high...

As for the short stay; alas I'm only in China for three weeks, including Hong Kong and so time is tight. If I were going myself, I could move things around but I'm travelling with a friend so it's harder to do this.
Aug 4, 2008 03:47
Ellyse,

Yes, I've seen Yangers.com (recommended by you in a previous post) and it looks very nice. The Bamboo rafting seems a really nice alternative to the mass-market cruises, but it seems Yangers are no longer doing them! I know you're up in the Shanghai area, but are you (or anyone else) aware of any other Bamboo rafting companies in Yangshuo.

It's such a shame I'm only there for two days, but the itinerary is fixed now :-(

Aug 4, 2008 05:26
  • BARONTWANGLE
I can tell you exactly when the first bus leaves Yangshuo to go to Xingping - when it is full! Herd up a few friends to make it go earlier! Why not spend the night there - that way you can get a sunset and a sunrise without having to worry about buses. There is no night life there, but there is a new decent restaurant (at the far end of Old Street from the bus terminal). There are about 5 or 6 hotels to choose from, and they are never full, so no need to book. If you end up in Yangshuo, I suggest renting a bike (10 for a full day - can get it cheaper if you are willing to haggle for 20 minutes!) and cycle to the East or the South of the village for the best scenery. Bamboo rafting is best done on the Yulong river to the West of YS (get there by bike). Let me know if you need more help - I have a very good friend who lives there and can find out info for you if you need it?

Aug 4, 2008 09:24
  • ELLYSE
Oh no, Yangers never OPERATED the bamboo raft cruises, they're all run by private operators in the area. They just informed of the possibility on their website.
Aug 8, 2008 06:20
GUEST01124 How is the bamboo raft cruise compared to the other river cruise ?

How much will it cost, for how many people and how long ?

Are they standard or must I negotiate with the raft owner ?

Guidebooks dont have informations on the bamboo raft cruises.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Guilin or Yangshuo?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code