Menu
Do you feel offended by Chinglish?
Aug 4, 2008 03:33
  • ICEBLUE
Have you read some Chinglish in China? Chinglish is the mixture of Chinese and English. Chinglish is frequently seen on the menus and road signs when you visit China. Do you feel offended when you see Chinglish road signs? As the Olympics is in the air, China has been trying all the best to eradicate Chinglish from the menus and road signs. Nevertheless, American linguists forecasts that “Chinglish” will thrive at and after Beijing Olympics. Some Chinglish phrases are just offbeat and nonsensical to native Enlish speakers.

The American linguists listed some extremely funny Chinglish as follows:

If you are stolen, call the police. (被盗了,就报警),
Airline Pulp (food served aboard airlines) (飞机供餐)
The slippery are very crafty (slippery when wet) (小心路滑)
Do not climb the rocketry (rock wall) (请勿攀岩)
Deformed man toilet (handicapped restroom)(残疾人厕所)
Racist Park(种族主义园)(Ethnic Minorities Park)(民族园)

Do you chance upon other funny Chinglish road signs? Do you feel offended by Chinglish?

Aug 4, 2008 05:36
  • DODGER
I thought that the common view held now was that English is not owned exclusively by any one group.
There are many versions of English spoken: American, English, Australian, Indian and Chinglish and more.
So just a means to communicate.
As my Chinese is well below par, I’m not in a position to criticize other people efforts.
Yes, it is funny but I understand what they are saying.
Dodger.
Aug 4, 2008 08:30
  • JCNILE123
Exactly Dodger,
The most common english it is of course American english, but the world will learn to adapt to regional versions accordingly.
So I think...
Aug 4, 2008 09:49
  • JSUMMERS83
I doubt many people really feel offended by Chinglish, but there are times when I have to shake my head.

When I see international companies, government agencies, or large print publications using Chinglish I can't help but wonder who made the decision not to hire a native speaker to edit before publication. Even in my own city I sometimes want to grab somebody, look them in the eye and say "I will help you...just ask me for goodness sake!"
Aug 4, 2008 10:18
  • DAVEC
As an Englishman I have no problem with Chinglish but I do get annoyed when people learn 'american English'. You are not learning american English you are learning american. 2 seperate languages.
Aug 4, 2008 12:41
  • CARLOS
Here we use to say the most common language in the world is bad English.

The way I speak English does not give me any possibilities to critizise other people´s English.

Those texts in signs are propably taken out from translator program, and as we all know, they do not give out even close to precise English.

Carlos
Aug 4, 2008 13:27
  • GRIZ326
It is a source of entertainment when I notice Chinglish. :-)

However, most of the time I just read and understand the sign and do not even notice the Chinglish.
Aug 4, 2008 21:39
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"Do you feel offended by Chinglish?"

Not at all. I have a weird sense of humor, at least too weird for Americans. For most bilingual people, it is common to mix English with another language. And anyway, English is not a pure language either. I don’t easily get offended and I am aware that English is a second, third (and so on) language for most people.

I was laughing my heart out when I saw this sign at the restroom in Bangkok: Please do not throw foreigners into the toilet.

LOL!

Scared the heck out of me!
Aug 4, 2008 21:46
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Actually, I can't even call those phrases posted up there as Chinglish because they are all in English, not really a mixture of Chinese and English. I could be wrong but my guess is that they are literal, word for word translation (which is what you usually get when you use an online translator) which became 'murdered or bastardized English'. LOL!~

As for some bilinguals, we usually speak in the mixture of English and our native language casually. Example: Let's go. Nood na tayo (Translation: Let's go. Let's watch already.) Even Singaporeans and Malaysians do this.
Aug 5, 2008 04:38
GUESTXX Please do not throw foreigners into the toilet.

What do the Thai really want to say?
Aug 6, 2008 01:40
  • AL32
>>Please do not throw foreigners into the toilet.

What do the Thai really want to say?

My guess is not to dispose of bathroom tissue (toilet paper or what ever you call it) in the toilet. Don't flush down the paper and just throw it in the bin beside... And I will let you guess the level of waste-water treatment gong on before the toilet water hits the river/ocean..

And one little fact on China here: 75% of the water used in Chinese urban areas still have no waste water treatment at all...sad, but true.. [from BBC documentary on China]
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you feel offended by Chinglish?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code