Menu
Connecting to the web
Feb 8, 2005 18:26
  • TOMSPENCER
Hi, I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I've just accepted a contract to work in Huizhou and my plane leaves on Sunday so... I really need to know about connecting to the web.

My laptop has built-in 802.11g and a modem with an RJ45 or whatever. Essentially I know there are one or two ways that it can connect to the web - I'm using it wirelessly right now.

I asked my employer out there whether they had a wireless router but she doesn't know as she is not technically-minded. She does know that they have broadband in the office. She said that her friend uses a laptop so she asked her and reported that I can buy a Chinese card for 2300 a year.

At this point I just said "thanks; I'll work it out when I get there" because I didn't fancy trying to talk about technical matters through a translator who doesn't understand computers.

So, my question is : what is this Chinese card, do you think? another wireless network card? Why does it cost 2300 per year? Wouldn't my 802.11g work? Should I take my own wireless router? What sort of compatability problems am I going to face?

Again, I apologise if this has all been taken care of already. I just have so much to organise before I fly off; I appreciate your help.

Tom
Feb 9, 2005 19:55
  • MERMAID
If u stay there long enough, u can apply for broadband, which is of course cheaper than buying card.
Others, i guess u can fnd a way out when u arrive.
Post a Reply to: Connecting to the web
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code