Menu
Hello from Belgium! Planning Trip (china,vietnam,thailand)
Aug 10, 2008 09:28
  • MICHAEL01
Hello everybody!

My name is Michaël and im a new member here on the forum.
Ive been reading for a few weeks on these forums, and decided to join up.
A bit about myself, im a 22 year old from Brugges in Belgium. I just graduated in cinematography and i am planning a backpacking trip along china,vietnam,thailand.I'll be travelling on my own and i have 5 months time limit. My flight into china has been booked, and i leave for Beijing on 2 october. Ill be flying in from Dusseldorf (Germany) with Airberlin.

Im going to be spending a lot of time here on the forum, and hope you guys can help me out with some of my question ill be having preparing this trip.

A bit about my trip, the main plan is to start in Beijing and decent to Hong kong, from there i would like to go to Hanoi, decend to Ho Chi minh and try to get to Chian Mai in Thailand and then end my trip in Bangkok and fly back to Dusseldorf, and take a train back to belgium.
Off course this is not my entire trip, but its the basic idea to start from.
My budget is going to be slim, im thinking about 20 US dollars per day max,including sleep option,food,sightseeing,travelling costs.

The first 2 questions i have are:

Hong Kong to Hanoi, Train or Plane? After searching, i found its not that easy by train, and that a plane is really expensive. What do you guys recommend. I would like to travel by train, but im not excluding the plane option, i just didnt find alot of information about it. The cheapest i found was 360 US dollars, and thats just to much money to spend.

Second question i have:
What would be the best option for travelling from Ho Chi minh to Chiang Mai. I would prefer to take a plane. Or can i travel by train?

i hope you guys can help me out,
i look forward meeting you all on the forum!

Cheers!

Michaël

Aug 10, 2008 21:25
  • CROBERTO
Hello, Michael,
Travelling in Thailand, and other countries of southwest asia, consider to fly by AIR ASIA, the tickets are really very cheaper. Acess the site!
Aug 10, 2008 22:14
  • ELLYSE
If you're going overland from Hong Kong to Hanoi, please be warned that you'll have to get a double-entry visa for China. Also, it's currently not really easy to get China visas, many travellers are having to provide day-to-day hotel bookings and proof of entry and exit flights. Bus and train tickets can't be bought in advance so those won't satisfy visa requirements.
A budget of 20 USD would only be a bit under 140 RMB/day, and I think that would be too low. I usually spend anything between 250 and 500 RMB/day when I'm travelling around. I'm sure you could live for less if you're cycling everywhere (thus no need for transport costs), live in dorm beds, and generally don't visit any sights.
Aug 11, 2008 23:54
GUESTAGNES 1. Hong Kong to Hanoi, Train or Plane?
I suggested that you may take plane instead of train. Train would be exhausted for you since it will take many hours to Hanoi.

2. best option for travelling from Ho Chi minh to Chiang Mai?
For me, train is better, as you no need to have check in and check out process for short distance flight.

By the way, I found a website www.a4trip.com, which provide online travel guidebook. It seems quite useful to travellers. Beijing guidebook is available on this site. Hope it will helps in your trip.

At last but not least, wish you have a pleasant trip! : )
Post a Reply to: Hello from Belgium! Planning Trip (china,vietnam,thailand)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code