Menu
Did the Chinese Boo the English the Badminton?
Aug 13, 2008 07:07
  • APAULT
My English relatives told me that the Chinese fans booed and jeered English players when they took the lead against China. is this true> I would certainly be disappointed if this unsportsmanlike behaviour occurred. Was anyone watching?
Aug 13, 2008 21:53
  • JIMMYB
Paul, I don't know if Chinese fans boo the English Badmintion. However, I saw a tennis match between Li Na and a Japanese tennis player. To be honest, I am totally disappointed in those fans. When the Japanese player serves the ball, the audience (most Chinese fans) make noise. Then the judge have to say "thank you" to the audience to let them be quiet. It is very impolite. The same thing happened in the women's gymnastics team qualifications. When the gymnasts perform on the stage, the audience shouted loudly. Didn't they know that their voice might have adverse impact on the gymnast? I feel very sorry to see this.
Aug 18, 2008 03:40
  • APAULT
I have seen your comment about the booing in the Tennis... this is very disappointing. Has any of the Chinese media commented on this poor behaviour?
Aug 18, 2008 08:08
  • DODGER
I have heard from expats who have attended other events that the booing thing has been across the board .
But putting this into perspective in light of the fact that these fans are not regulars of sporting events and that many junior sporting clubs in Oz do need to constantly remind the parents how to behave its just an educationally issue. Which is possibly another reason why these game will in the long term be good for this country.
That old Public School ethos of playing the game may be long gone but it would be nice to think that honouring the defeated as even the gladiators did would still be possible even in the day and age.
Dodger.
Aug 23, 2008 10:49
GUEST99144 Not only against English players. I watched China vs Japan. It was crazy! Chinese fans shouted "sha!! (kill)" against Japanese players.
It was crazy...
Aug 25, 2008 22:29
  • JIMMYB
GUEST99144, you misunderstood the meaning of "sha". If you play badminton, you will know that there is a jargon "杀球" (smaching the shuttlecock). "Sha" didn't mean "kill somebody" here. The audience just wanted to see the athlete smach the shuttlecock, not kill his/her rival. If you watch Din Dan played with Chen Jin, you would hear that the audience shout "Sha" too.
Post a Reply to: Did the Chinese Boo the English the Badminton?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code