Menu
Chinese Women's Gymnastics Controversy
Aug 25, 2008 22:05
  • JIMMYB
Thread is very hot, only 20 replies but more than 1700 people have read this thread.
Aug 27, 2008 19:26
GUEST48220 The IOC turned a blind-eye, no big surprise.

These three Chinese women will have to live with the guilt and shame in their hearts for the rest of their lives that they cheated. I feel bad for them, they probably didn't have much choice in the matter.

The American Gymnist will live on knowing that she was gracious in her actions and that she was the true gold medalist. In this world there are plenty of lies and deception in just about every aspect of life. I have more respect for the American Gymnist and the American Team for keeping their composure and for taking the higher road. She made me much prouder to be an American than if she had put up a big stink about the whole thing. A gold medal only means something if it was won in honor and truthfulness, otherwise it's just a tarnished piece of metal and a piece of fabric.
Aug 27, 2008 20:33
  • JSUMMERS83
I really didn't mean to make this a forum for people to bash China. I really don't think a huge injustice was done on the Olympic stage, only within China. The USA team didn't perform well on the team final anyway.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: with 1.3 billion people, how hard would it really have been to find 4 legal-age girls to compete?
Jan 27, 2009 08:39
GUEST62206 if any of you have done gymnastics you would know why the rule is what it is. FIG issued that rule only for the safety of the gymnasts. gymnastics takes a huge toll on the body and having younger and younger girls compete could make an injury permanent. traing to be an olympic gymnast is much harder than anyone can imagine and havign a 13 year old train that much WILL no matter what take a toll. it is not pnishing a gymnast just because she msses the onympics by 2 years due to her age. all in all it is making her better and getting more prepared to be elibale to compete in the next one.
i am not for the chinese and i do not agree with what they did. but if thats what they had to do to win than so be it. and if you knew that the chinese take the children away from the parents at the age of 2 or 3 to start training than they could look younger. like i said though i am not for what they did at all. and yes the united states is upset, but we made mistakes too.
oh and you all are saying that the IOC is saying it is ok that they compete but all they get to look at and verify age on is passports. they saw the online stuff and talked to the chinese government, whom in return show the passports saying that all the gymnasts were eligable.thats all that they are allowed to do.
and to the question above. it is difficult. to train a gymnasts to compete and try skills at the olympic level is tough. a gymnast at that time is 24/7 at the gym doing nothing else. you cant just take 4 off the street and start training them. it takes time, gradual time.
and this is not the first time it has happened. and yes it wll happen but as we realize there is nothing we can do about it. but just try harder on everything.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Women's Gymnastics Controversy
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code