Menu
Yunnan in Kunming
Aug 20, 2008 02:30
guest02002 Hi there

Next week I am going to live in Kunming in the region of Yunnan. Although I have done some research into Kunming I don't know much about Yunnan in fact nothing!!

I am a new English teacher and really want to see the culture and speak to the people although I don't speak any other language apart from English.
I would love to find out the following information:
How far is Yunnan from Kunming and is their good transport links between the two places. Also how big is Yunnan?
What is the food in Yunnan like as I love simple vegetarian food and at present am in Shanghai and find it really difficult to get simple non fried vegetarian food. Also I want to know if you can get good quality green tea at either a tea house or from the shops?
Are there good supermarkets or local shops which have a variety of food/drink etc?
Are there temples or other places to visit in Yunnan as I adore Buddhist temples and am really into finding a massage parlour where trained blind people massage you as this is something I have never heard of before.
Where do other English speakers hang out in Yunnan as I am interested in meeting the natives but also get the chance to speak to English speakers who may offer advice on living in Yunnan and where to go.

Last thing but what other places are near Kunming which I can go visit such as Lao or Vietnam or even other regions next to Kunming.

Any information would be really appreciated and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you

Shantelle Delmonti

P.S If anyone in Yunnan is interested in getting English lessons then please send a email to me at: yahoo.com|Shantelle_D, stating what you are looking for in terms of the language.
Aug 20, 2008 03:09
  • ELLYSE
Kunming is a city (the provincial capital, in fact) of Yunnan province. So your 1st question doesn't make any sense!
How big is Yunnan province -- are you referring in terms of land area, population, GDP or what?
Yunnan food is varied as you have a wide mix of minorities.
I'm currently in Shanghai and have a printable JPG file with Chinese characters detailing what vegetarians can/cannot eat, as well as a selection of good vegetarian restaurants in Shanghai. If you think that would be of use to you, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" in the subject line.
Yunnan province is more renowned for black tea than green tea, but yes, you can get green tea of reasonable quality.
There're a number of big supermarkets in Kunming, just go to those for your green tea and groceries!
Yes, there're a lot of places that you could visit in Yunnan. Please for your own sake get a copy of the Lonely Planet Southwest China and/or Bradt's Yunnan guidebooks. Also, http://chinabackpacker.com/pn/modules.php?name=Guides&file=province&province=Yunnan and http://www.chinatrekking.com/destinations/yunnan have good travel information for Yunnan province.
Nov 27, 2008 04:36
  • RUANJINMENG
大 家 好!
我在 中 国 转 媒 大 学生是 越 南 留 学。现 在 我 的 汉 语 不 好。我 学 习 汉 语 大 约 一 个 月 多。下 个 月, 我 回 国。 我 买 到 了 飞 机 票 (北 京 – 昆 明)。 我 想 去 和 口。 从 和 口,我 去 来 越 南。 在 昆 明 我 可 以 坐 火 车 还 是 公 共 起 车 吗? 我 怎 么 走 ?我 不 知 道, 在 昆 明,我 在 那 儿?
你 们 可 以 胖 我 吗?
大 谢 谢 你 们!
Email: gmail.com|sontungmc
Nov 27, 2008 07:03
  • JABAROOTOO
Shantelle,
Hope you've arrived and settled in to Kunming by now. If you still have queries and haven't found the local Kunming Expat website then I suggest you get onto it and this will have many of your answers.

All the best
J
Feb 1, 2009 07:00
  • JOSHIRV57
ELLYSE; You are never much help are you. There is so much you dont know,or understand about english,so admit it.
Post a Reply to: Yunnan in Kunming
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code