Menu
Beijing CCTV Building
Aug 22, 2008 17:32
After years of watching the Discovery and National Geographic channels and marvelling at all the 'superstructure' buildings that are going up, I'm finally going to see some of them in the flesh!

For Shanghai, it's no problem to find them, but I am having difficulty finding the CCTV building in Beijing.I have a street address (32 Dong San Huan Zhang) but is there a metro stop nearby? It's just such a bizarrre (and controversial) shape, I just have to see it!

Also, isn't there a big TV tower with an observation deck that you can go up? I wrote it down, but cannot find any information on where that mat be. If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate some info...

Thanks, Dave
Aug 22, 2008 20:24
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave. The CCTV building will not be completed until next year. They have rushed to finish the main structure of the building before the Olympics, but the images you see on TV are of an empty shell lit by external floodlights (notice how you never see it during the day!). If you go there to see it, you will probably be very disappointed as it will resemble a building site and you won't be able to get very close.

The other TV tower you talk about does have an observation deck, but it is to the west of the city, and a long way from any recognisable landmarks. I have never been up it, but I have heard that the view from the top is nothing special, unless you get a very clear day.
Aug 23, 2008 04:04
I guess they couldn't finish everything in time for the Olympics - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's a shortage of concrete in China due to the mass of building projects going on.

Oh, now you mention it, I have seen very few daylight shots, but I was planning to see it just after sunset anyway. I'm not too fussed about the reality, but just to see it would be cool. Problem is that, extensive as the Metro is, there's no apparent stops in the area.

Dave
Aug 23, 2008 04:27
  • BARONTWANGLE
Well I imagine you will only be able to see it through a construction fence from a long way away. Don't believe western media reports about shortages of concrete in China. If there is a shortage of anything then it is of professional media reporting in the UK!
Post a Reply to: Beijing CCTV Building
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code