Menu
Does Zhang Yimou deserve a gold medal?
Aug 25, 2008 03:19
  • LEONARDO
Voting is valid from Aug 25, 2008 03:19 to Sep 1, 2008 03:19 .
Exclusive Vote
  1. 8 vote(s)
  2. 1 vote(s)
  3. 1 vote(s)
  4. 0 vote(s)
  5. 1 vote(s)
  6. 0 vote(s)
  7. This vote is invalid now.
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.

The Beijing Olympic Games has concluded. 55 countries divided 302 gold medals. China claimed 51 gold medals. During the 16-day games, atheletes were the focus; in particular, the gold medalists were under the intense spotlight. Well, Zhang Yimou, as the general director of the opening ceremonoy and closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics, hasn’t got as enough attention as he deserves. It was reported that Zhang Yimou was given $300 million and full reign of his imagination. He contributes a lot to the success of the splendid opening ceremony. What do you think of him? Does he deserve a gold medal? How many points will you score Zhang Yimou?

Aug 25, 2008 03:21
  • LEONARDO
Profile of Zhang Yimou

Name
Zhang Yimou 张艺谋

Date of Birth
Tuesday November 14 1950

Born
Xi’an, Shaanxi Province (China)

Nationality
Chinese

Partial Biography
A leading filmmaker of China's "Fifth Generation" who began as a cinematographer and has shot films by directors Chen Kaige and Wu Tianming.

Zhang Yimou is the general director of the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics

Aug 25, 2008 12:52
  • DAVEC
To get my vote he should have taken the 300 million, spend about 1000 of it and used the rest for more worthy causes.
Sorry to say it but spending 300 million is a total waste of money, it was just a very very very expensive advert for China.

Isnt the olympic games about sport? not who can waste the most money.
Aug 25, 2008 19:09
  • SHESGOTTOBE
He is a very talented man, that’s for sure. But to me, an opening/closing ceremony is just that, a ceremony. Heck, it's not even the main event. I’m a very practical person so I can’t really appreciate spending a lot of money on something if less money will do the job. I think it is not different from a man who spent a lot of money for the funeral of his pet dog. For what purpose, I don’t know. Kind of like using an oversized sledgehammer to kill a fly. However, it is their money; they can spend it however they want.
Aug 25, 2008 20:19
  • SUNNYDREAM
Zhang Yimou gets my vote. He derves a gold medal for the spectacular opening ceremony.

"Heck, it's not even the main event. I’m a very practical person so I can’t really appreciate spending a lot of money on something if less money will do the job."

SHESGOTTOBE, a practical person is different from a stingy scrooge.^_^ A country cares about its image is to a girl cares about its public image. You can say that it is of vanity. That's why so many girls spend a amount of money on clothes and cosmetics.

The opening ceremony is not a low-budget. It is not Zhang Yimou's fault. He did an excellent job as an artist.
Aug 25, 2008 23:04
GUEST9781 Some westerners downplay the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympiad because they are jealous of China. Their countries can not display such an extraordinary opening ceremony as China did. They just said that the gorgeous opening ceremony is a waste of money. It is just like a poor film-maker who can't get enough sponsors say that he prefers making a low budget independent film to a big-money movie. Though I am not Chinese, I give my credit to China and Zhang Yimou.
Aug 26, 2008 00:41
  • DAVEC
Guest9781,
Please tell us how you justify spending 300 billion with so many of your people in poverty?
The reason we justify it in the west is quite simple, we cant!!!

If a government here spent that the people would go mad, 300 million buys a lot of homes for the homeless, hospitals for the sick and similar things to that. We pay our taxes and want the government to spend that money well.
Aug 26, 2008 18:27
  • YINDUFFY
I think the Olympic Committee would have been better off if they had hired an advertising agency to plan the ceremonies instead of an "artist" like Zhang. The ceremonies could have been wonderful showcases for China tourism and culture and an inducement for the World to appreciate China.
Zhang's performances required explanation which is bad. It is like having to explain a joke. It doesn't work if you have to explain it.
Most, if not all, visitors to this forum have seen promotional videos for China tourism. What if that grandeur could have been brought to a live performance?
I'm sorry but Zhang's power seems to have gone to his head in requesting and getting thousands to do his bidding.
Aug 26, 2008 18:34
  • MARRIE
Zhang Yi Mou is always second to Chen Kai Ge when they studied in the same class. Personally, I prefer Chen Kai Ge not because he dominated Zhang Yi Mou in art class performance but because Chen's arts reflect the gravity of real chinese cultures. However, the realm of superstructure prefers Zhang. And Zhang's style is more inclined to public entertainment. I think other chinese artists would be able to show the equal excellecy if they were honored with this project that seems to marginal but generously funded.
Aug 26, 2008 20:29
  • SHESGOTTOBE
“A country cares about its image is to a girl cares about its public image. You can say that it is of vanity. That's why so many girls spend a amount of money on clothes and cosmetics.”

Agree! A woman who is conscious of her image has every right to spend her money on make-up. The one who views the image also has every right to prefer a woman who has less make-up, no make-up or with make-up.
Aug 26, 2008 20:38
  • JIMMYB
As for Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige, I prefer Zhang Yimou than Chen Kaige. The only movie directed by Chen Kaige impresses me most is Farewell to My Concubine. Very impressive! As for the Promise, I really don't know what Chen Kaige wants to tell us. I agree with Dave that Beijing Olympics has cost too much.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Does Zhang Yimou deserve a gold medal?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code