Menu
Beijing Olympics’ legacy: ‘Jiayou’ ( 加油) goes international
Aug 28, 2008 04:19
  • CRYSTALRING

The Chinese words “ Jiayou (加油)" goes international during the Beijing Games. It is very likely that the word “jiayou” will soon be added into the English vocabulary.

During the Beijing Games, foreign media frequently quoted the word” Jiayou”. There are several versions of “ 加油’ (Jiayou):
1.Jamaica jiayou”,“Go, Jamaica”(牙买加,加油!)
2.Refueling China!(中国加油!)
3.加油,巴西!—Jia you, Brazil:Let's go Brazil (Associated Press, August 22)
4.中国加油!—“Zhongguo Jiayou!” 或 “Go China!” (New York Times, August 24)
5.加油!— Jiayou! Go! Go! (The Times, August 8)
Aug 28, 2008 09:25
  • JSUMMERS83
Any Chinese culture seeping into the western mind is a decidedly good thing...

...but "jia you"?? Come on. I'm sad that a piece of China which holds no cultural value and often becomes annoying because of its overuse is what some think will be the "legacy" of the Olympics.

China has so many more (and better) things to offer than 加油!!!
Aug 28, 2008 21:39
GUEST2597 China has so many more (and better) things to offer than 加油!!!

Agree. However, few western people can appreciate the essence of profound Chinese culture. Western people are becoming more materialized and shallow.
Sep 16, 2008 04:09
GUESTJORDAN I am sure that all the sportsmen took place in the Olympics still have nightmares with 加油!!! 加油!!!
It was everywhere insiide tha stadium, outside on streets, on TV it was just too much.
When i close my eyes I see only red sea from silk waves and 加油!!! 加油!!! is coming from each side....
I was in China during the Games and noticed that in every channel was the chinese team. Every time you come upon a game it was a chinese guy beating somebody and taking the gold medal and ... of course 加油!!! 加油!!!
It happened that I was in EU just for 2 days during the Games and niticed that the TV is different.. There were others countries playing there, not only China.
The games were astonishing but in my opinion the chinesation of the Games was too much and Olympic games are International event something that everybody seems to forgot.
Post a Reply to: Beijing Olympics’ legacy: ‘Jiayou’ ( 加油) goes international
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code