Menu
After insider tips on photography from Victoria Peak
Sep 2, 2008 07:11
I couldn't find an answer to this question, here or via Google so hoping someone may be able to help...

I'm going to be in Hong Kong at the end of my three-week trip around some of China. Of course, no trip to HK would be complete without getting to the top of Victoria Peak and taking some evening skyline photographs. The question is specifically, where is the best place on the peak to take good photo's, including panoramas? I have heard that you can get onto a observation deck on the peak tower, and that there is somewhere called Lion Pavillion (but can't find it).

I could look myself when I get up there, but as you can imagine, it's a short stay and time is of the essence!

Thanks,

Dave
Sep 2, 2008 08:52
  • ELLYSE
Yes, Lion Pavilion is a short walk from the Peak Galleria. Lots of people will be walking there, so just follow the crowd.
The Peak observatory seems to be open only when the weather is good.
Sep 2, 2008 08:59
Ellyse,

Thanks. Is the Lion Pavillion a good place to get good photos or is there someplace better? I only mentioned it as it was the only place mentioned, so may not be the best!

Dave
Sep 2, 2008 08:59
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave. Forget the observation deck - it's over crowded with tourists and is hideous. It also vibrates so you can't use a tripod on it. Come out of the tram building and turn right (left will take you to the Lion Pavillion - also over crowded with excited toursists). Take a small quiet lane/alley way which will be the first turning on the right (it's either called Lugard Road or Old Peak Road). Walk down this lane (footpath) which basically follows the contour of the mountain but the view is obscured by trees. After about 10 minutes however the trees disappear and you will get the best panoramic view of HK. You will also be away from the masses so will get some peace and quiet. All you can hear there is the hum of the city.
Sep 2, 2008 09:16
Once again Mr Baron, you give great advice. Very much appreciated!

I've nearly finished the planning of my trip - just got a couple of things to tie up - less than 4 weeks to go...

Dave
Sep 2, 2008 09:46
  • BARONTWANGLE
You just better hope the exchange rate doesn't keep free falling like it is doing currently. You'll be lucky to get 11.8 Yuan at the moment. Very sad.
Sep 2, 2008 11:52
  • ELLYSE
11.8 RMB to 1 what currency? EUR?
Well, too bad I didn't find that little spot 2 months ago when I was in Hong Kong.
Sep 2, 2008 12:30
I think it's 11.8 to the £ - at the moment it's 12.8 to the £ and goind down...

Sep 2, 2008 21:45
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave - where are you getting that info from? Today is 12.1 (the official rate), so the best you can hope to get is 11.8 from a bank. It's scary - 8 months ago it was15.6. Thats 25% down!
Sep 3, 2008 01:40
I'm getting that rate from the iGoogle currency plugin.... that hasn't updated since mid-August! I've just seen the real rate :-( So depressing (for a tourist, or a foreigner living there) at least...
Sep 3, 2008 05:53
  • BARONTWANGLE
Yes! Soon the Chinese will be visiting the UK saying "Wow everything is so cheap here"!!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: After insider tips on photography from Victoria Peak
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code