Menu
How to translate KFC slogan?
Sep 3, 2008 02:59
  • LENAQIAN
I am really confused by the KFC slogan: We do chicken right.

What does it mean?

I have found many Chinese translation of the slogan, rather funny! However, I want to know the real meaning of the slogan. Could you please do me a favor? Thank yoooooooooou in advance :-)
Sep 3, 2008 05:13
  • YINDUFFY
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) has used the advertising slogan "We do chicken right." as a slang term meaning the company ( we) cook it well (right in this use is the opposite of wrong).
Many advertising slogans are chosen because they can have more than one interpretation. This would be understood in the market they are appealing to. The advertising world is full of examples of messages that fail to get their point across.
KFC for years used the slogan " Finger lickin' good." which was another slang term for something particularly good tasting, and fried chicken is meant to be held in your hands when eating so the eater would get the oil and juices on their fingers. Some would lick the flavor off their hands instead of using a napkin.
Sep 5, 2008 04:42
  • LENAQIAN
Thank you so much!
Sep 6, 2008 10:52
  • APAULT
Of course, that slogan is grammatically incorrect. It should be, "We do chicken well". The final word describes how they 'do' and so should be an adverb. Good is the adjective, well is the equivalent adverb.

It seems to me listening to American, that the adverb has disappeared. It certainly remains in English. A question to the US teachers in TCG. Do US schools teach the use of adverbs, or do educators accept and tolerate the use of adjectives as adverbs?
Sep 6, 2008 10:59
  • APAULT
SORRY! My basic point is valid but by explanation is wrong...I crossed to different words. I shouldn't post at 2am! I have asked the moderators to rermove.

I'll repost after that has happened.
Sep 6, 2008 11:39
It's all clucking too much for me! he he
Alan
Sep 7, 2008 21:49
  • YINDUFFY
In advertising we have all seen horrible usage of the English language. Some horrible puns are used and some words deliberately misspelled. I empathize with English-as-a-second-language people.
Jun 26, 2009 08:13
GUEST49169 is there any funny meanings for KFC ?
Nov 4, 2010 00:00
GUEST59247 Kentucky Fried Children
Nov 11, 2010 11:16
  • DAVEC
kentucky fried crap?
Nov 11, 2010 20:04
  • ONMYWAY
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

kentucky fried crap?

Junk food is crap, haha. Do you know Mc Donald's slogan? It is "I am loving it". Do you really love it?
Post a Reply to: How to translate KFC slogan?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code