Menu
Mobile Phones across China
Sep 4, 2008 17:35
I'm going to be in China in a couple of weeks with a friend and it's become apparent that we're going to be on different schedules - I'll be up early and out and about, he won't. So we need to be able to get in contact.

The obvious option is to take our mobiles (nice English interface) and buy a SIM card when there. Somewhere I've read/heard/been told that the ShenZhouXing is the best option as it can be used nationwide. From another post in the forum it was mentioned that I could use a phone that works on the 900/1800 bands, but it was not clear as to whether this was countrywide or regional.

My question is: presuming we use the ShenZhouXing SIM, is having a 900/1800 band phone enough to work in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Yanshuo and Hong Kong? What do people recommend?

Thanks,

Dave

Sep 4, 2008 19:35
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave. This is far too technical for me, but let me answer in my simple way. I don't know of a SIM which will work (cheaply) in both HK and China. You can buy a pre paid HK SIM for $72 from 7-11 or other convenience stores.

I have had a few different SIM cards in China, and all have worked nationwide. I don't know of one which doesn't. However, if you buy a BJ SIM then once you leave BJ you are charged more to make or receive calls. To send SMS is the same I believe. The same goes for all areas - once you get outside the area where the SIM is registered, it is more expensive (But still way cheaper than the UK).

I'm not an expert on such trivia, so maybe someone will correct me, but that is certainly my experience.

There are many different kinds of SIM's all offering different pros and cons. Obviously you don't want to get one with a monthly charge, as you will only be here for a couple of weeks. You need to work out if you are more likely to SMS or call your friend, and then try to find the best card to suit. One thing is for sure - don't rely on the sales person to tell you which one is best! They will simply sell you the one which gives them the most profit or commission.

Sep 4, 2008 20:00
  • JIMMYB
Baron is right. If you get out the area where your SIM card is registered, you will be charged with roaming fees. Sending SMS is the same. By the way, you should make sure that you have applied roaming service. Shengzhouxing is good. However, there are several kinds of Shengzhouxing cards. As somebody suggests, you'd better find a Chinese friend to help you buy the SIM card. You see, they are more familiar with SIM cards than you.

"One thing is for sure - don't rely on the sales person to tell you which one is best! They will simply sell you the one which gives them the most profit or commission."

Yes, you have to make your own decision.
Sep 4, 2008 21:12
  • APAULT
I assume Baron's dollar price was in HK dollars, so about 6 pounds UK. The mainland is similar. You can buy a sim from about 70rmb with 50 rmb of calls, the more expensive prices are for 'good numbers' - what a waste! The plans usu incl plans to have no monthly fee and pay higher prices, through to high monthly fees and no or very low charges. I was paying 20 rmb a month to get moderate priced calls and loads of free sms. Watch out for plans where you have to pay for incoming calls too! If you run out of credit, you can usu receive sms, but that's all. You can run into trouble in some provinces. Hebei requires you show an id and some places only accept national ids. Each province is tun separately. Also, you can hit trouble tring to top up in an mobile phone office. Instead buy a card from a shop (incl 7/11). There are only 3 companies in the north, 2 in the south. I would suggest using China Mobile - I have used them all the time, many numbers as I come and go.
Sep 5, 2008 01:37
Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. The idea of text is interesting, but I guess voice is better to get a lot in info over in a short amount of time. It sounds as if I won't go too far wrong no matter what I buy and the points about roaming (asking for it and the cost of using it) are good ones.

It sound as if most options are wel-priced when compared to the UK so I'm not overly fussed amount the exact cost of each one - the big issue now will be whether my aging Motorolo phone will work out there!

Anyone know about the 900/1800 band?
Sep 5, 2008 01:50
  • JIMMYB
Dave, 900/1800 bands are very common frequencies on GSM cellphones. For sure, you can use your cellphone in China. I agree with Paul. If you want to buy a SIM card, please use China Mobile. The signal is stronger than China Unicom.
Sep 5, 2008 03:40
JimmyB (and everyone!), thanks for the info. That's one less thing to worry about :-)

Dave
Post a Reply to: Mobile Phones across China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code