Menu
Radio in China
Sep 6, 2008 17:43
  • YINDUFFY
I was wondering if there are many commercial radio stations now in China. My wife, who came to the U.S. in 1994, does not remember commercial radio or music radio (playing popular tunes).
When I have been in China, I have not heard radios playing in shops or homes. Not in cars either. then again, when I was there, there was always a lot of conversation between relatives.
Do cities have independent commercial radio stations? I have seen the explosion of TV channels so the radio business couldn't be far behind.
Sep 7, 2008 09:04
  • BARONTWANGLE
There are a few in Beijing, including an international one where the presenters speak a combination of English and Mandarin (usually in the same sentence!), but I don't know of any in other cities. Radio is not a big industry here. If it was then I would be trying to work in it as I have 15 years experience of IR in the UK. But the sad truth is that I don't know anyone who listens to the radio in China.
Sep 7, 2008 21:52
  • YINDUFFY
That's sad because I couldn't imagine driving a car without a radio. I listen to news and talk radio both in the car and at home. I used to listen to music radio but that was a long time ago.
Sep 7, 2008 22:51
  • APAULT
In my last college the Dean of English (quite a dinosaur) issued all the language students with a radio so they could listen to his propaganda broadcasts. He was very upset that even then the students didn't listen. The reality is that people prefer to listen to their own music (or English learning) when they want to and they do not want to listen to 'officially sanctioned' broadcasts. MP3 and MP4, dvd's etc are the modern media of choice. Talk-back radio would be too risky for the establishment....and anyway, why inflict that on the people of China? !!!
Post a Reply to: Radio in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code