Menu
Recommendations for 'liquid cuisine' in China
Sep 9, 2008 17:30
Hi,

I have a question that probably got a broad answer, but to be polite, I will feel obliged to try anything that people recommend!

I'm going to be travelling through Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Yangshuo and Hong Kong and would like to try any local beers of note. I'm sure that each city has a few specialities so if any of you have recommendations....

Also, I read in a previous post that Beijng as a bar that sells Tibetan beer - does anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Dave
Sep 10, 2008 23:56
  • ELLYSE
I don't think Shanghai has its own beer at all. However there's a small pub on Hankou Lu near the Bund which brews their own beer, you might like to give it a try.
Beijing: Yanjing
Xi'an and Yangshuo have their own beers, but I can't recall the names at the moment.
Sep 11, 2008 15:45
Ellyse,

Thanks for the info.After long days walking around it would be nice to able able to sit down and relax with a local beer. We get some Chinese beers over here, but it is not guaranteed that they actually taste like beer you get in China!

I'm sure you've heard of the Austrailian beer Fosters - just ask any Austrailian what they think of 'English' Fosters!

If anyone else can make suggestions - it'd be much appreciated.
Sep 11, 2008 20:09
  • JIMMYB
Dave, you can try Hans beer in Xi'an (It has been acquired by Qingdao beer). There are several kinds of Hans beer: Hans 9, Hans dry beer, Hans draught beer and Hans fruit beer etc. Also you can try fruit beer if you like. Landmark fruit beer tastes good.

Here is Hans dry beer.

Sep 12, 2008 09:35
Jimmy,

Thanks for the information - that's precisely what I wanted to know. I'm looking forward to trying Hans.
Post a Reply to: Recommendations for 'liquid cuisine' in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code