Menu
Last day on Earth?
Sep 9, 2008 22:49
  • JIMMYB
You must have known "Alice in Wonderland" but do you know "Alice in Wonderland Investigation"? It is an experiment done by a lot of researchers from 80 countries to investigate the makeup of the universe, simply, to recreate the Big Bang.

It sounds interesting, right? However, some doomsayers say that the Large Hadron Collider might destroy the world. The objectors say that the blackholes resulting for the experiment will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside. While the scientists say that each collision of a pair of protons in the LHC will release an amount of energy comparable to that of two colliding mosquitoes, so any black hole produced would be much smaller than those known to astrophysicists. That means "no safety problem".

Who do you believe in?

That's it, the Large Hadron Collider.

Sep 9, 2008 22:57
  • JIMMYB
Sorry, I forgot that the experiment would be done on Wednesday.
Sep 10, 2008 04:55
  • YVONNE
Today is Wednesday and nothing happens.
Sep 10, 2008 15:54
  • DAVEC
Well, if it was a failure and we all got sucked into a black hole, guess what, its the same as real life
Sep 10, 2008 21:33
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Ah… the study of the cosmos. My One. True. Love… the search for the Theory of Everything… the search for the god particle… the search for what and who we really are… is there anything more religious and sublime? Is there anything bigger? No. Nothing. Nothing tugs my heart more… creates a lump in my throat and brings tears to my eyes….

By the way, if we got suckered into the black hole, we're probably in another dimension or another universe now... but since everything is still the same, I guess those fears are unfounded.

"Whether or not it really works we don't know for sure. It looks like it probably would work. It's actually safe to create a universe in your basement. It would not displace the universe around it even though it would grow tremendously. It would actually create its own space as it grows and in fact in a very short fraction of a second it would splice itself off completely from our Universe and evolve as an isolated closed universe growing to cosmic proportions without displacing any of the territory that we currently lay claim to." ---Alan H. Guth, cosmologist
Sep 10, 2008 21:36
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Actually, it is sad that it failed. I am a rich beauty queen in another dimension. :P
Sep 11, 2008 00:04
  • BARONTWANGLE
Shes - what dimension is that - a fantasy one?!
Sep 11, 2008 20:50
  • CHERRY07
Probably a fairy land, hehe.
Sep 11, 2008 22:21
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Oh yes, and in that fairly land... there is no baron who keeps chasing me. ;-)
Sep 11, 2008 22:28
  • KATRINA
Well, this experiment has killed an Indian girl. An 16 years old Indian girl who watched the related news on TV and she feared that it would make black holes to destroy the earth. Then she drank the pesticide. Her parents said that in last few days their daughter asked them many questions about this and they once tried to distract her attention but failed eventually.
Sep 11, 2008 22:48
  • KATRINA
Many people fear that the black holes caused by the experiment will destroy the world. But do you know what will happen to you when you fall into a black hole? According to the scientist, if you fall into a blackhole, your body will be torn into pieces. Probably it is the most magnificent way to die. The scientist says that if you wanna escape from the blackhole, you must be faster than the speed of light. However, no things in the space can reach the speed of light let alone run faster than that. So if you fall into the black hole, you will never come out. The blackhole will kill you like squeezing the toothpaste.

If you were very lucky, the blackhole didn't tear you into pieces before you get through the surface of the blackhole. Then you would be in a big black hole. Last moment, you ould feel like that you were in a distorted one-way mirror. You could see people outside the blackhole but they couldn't see you. Then the gravity will change the direction of the beam of light. Finally, you would be distorted too.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Last day on Earth?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code