Menu
Should the heads of the states dress casually?
Sep 10, 2008 01:50
  • ICEBLUE
Should the head of state dress casually or formally? There is a fashion among Latin American countries' heads: they prefer casual shirts to suits. The political leaders aimed to tell their countries' people that they are nice and easygoing. Generally, political figures give the general public the impression that they are stern and serious. It is a good trend that these political figures can dress take off the stiff suits.

President of Venezuela Chavez

Sep 10, 2008 01:53
  • ICEBLUE
President of Bolivia: EVO MORALES AYMA

Sep 10, 2008 01:55
  • ICEBLUE
President of Colombia: Alvaro Uribe

Sep 10, 2008 01:57
  • ICEBLUE
President of Argentina:
Cristina Fernández de Kirchne

Sep 10, 2008 20:04
  • APAULT
I think you will find that in Western countries most leaders dress casually in appropriate situations. Of course I mean 'smart casual' (a common phrase) not jeans with holes inthe knees. The reasoning is, I believe, to show a human everyday side to their personality - even though their casual clothes are top priced designer labels.

It seems Chinese leaders have a differnt view and are rarely seen out of suits or uniform. Though jackets and ties did come off when leaders visited the Sichuan disaster.

The first pic there, of Chavez, is casual, but clearly chosen as military casual - he is definitely choosing to maintain an image. The Columbian President has a style that is 'native' thus displaying a nationalistic look. But what about arab leaders in their full gowns, South Pacific leaders in jacket and 'laplap' (a skirt like garment). Are these formal? I would say they are yet the arab dress also looks pleasantly comfortable - certaibly better than the western suit and strangler (sorry I mean 'tie'). maybe the Chinese leaders should 'fo Chinese'??????
Sep 10, 2008 21:03
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Those are tropical countries. Suit will be too hot. Besides, those are not considered ‘casual’ in some countries. The 2nd & 3rd heads of states in those pictures wear clothes with a touch of ‘native’ in them. Also, black dress shirts are considered formal or casual formal in many countries. And once in a while, depending on the situation, some leaders wear something casual to show that he/she is not out of touch with the common people.
Sep 10, 2008 21:31
  • LEONARDO
>>And once in a while, depending on the situation, some leaders wear something casual to show that he/she is not out of touch with the common people. <<

I agree with Shesgottobe on the point.

>>maybe the Chinese leaders should 'fo Chinese'?<<
Apault, do you mean that Chinese leaders should wear Sun Yat Sen suit /Chinese tunic suit/Mao Suit?
Post a Reply to: Should the heads of the states dress casually?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code