Menu
Is teaching a decent job in your country?
Feb 23, 2009 13:08
GUEST10286 I just wanted to say my experience on US schools, since someone asked. Overall, I'm pleased. The thing with education in the USA is that you get out what you put in. If you drag your butt through high school and party your way through college, you're going to be a moron no matter how much money is spent on you. This is the cultural problem, I mentioned earlier. More than we need to spend more money we need to get parents and children interested in their education instead of it being something they have to do for a set amount of time. I would also say trying to hire teachers that maintain their enthusiasm would also be another step up. Think of some of your favorite teachers. Mine was a science teacher; he was eccentric but smart and we had alot of fun in that class because he was genuinely excited about what he taught. Enthusiasm is contagious!
Feb 26, 2009 07:10
  • JOSHIRV57
Who is a decent person,for this particular issue,and believe that the ones here giving their opinions,should be scratched,and fiven to suffer when some-one down
grades their lives as they are doing so much harm to the teaching profession,everywhere in the world.Why does everything have to be the United States or China.
Wake up,and Get A Life!!
Mar 2, 2009 03:40
GUEST569 JOSHIRV57, I think you must be a decent person. Your view points are always so contradictory to ordinary people's views. That makes you so unique. What is your profession? Are you a teacher?
Mar 2, 2009 19:03
  • REMAG1234
A little info about teachers in the U.S. New York to be exact. Other professions work 5 days get anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks vacation plus 8 holidays. Teacher on the other hand work only 180 days, their salary varies by area but is in the $65,000 area for regular teachers. The holidays are as follows: All legal holidays, Religious holidays include Christmas week, Easter week, Jewish holidays [if you're Jewish], Spring break, Winter break. A Health Plan that is only topped by our Congressman & Senators. Upon retiring many get a minimum of $80,000 a year plus the Health Plan they enjoyed during their employment. When reaching 62 they can apply for Social Security Benefits. At 65 Medicare kicks in, but the Teachers Health Plan is still in effect. The Health Plan then changes it's name to Teachers Medicare Health Plan and all benefits remain the same. Statistics show that High School Graduates [not all, but too many] can only read, write and do math of a 6th grader. That Stat cannot be construed that the teachers are producing good products. Teachers cannot be fired when they are tenured unless they commit a capital crime. This cannot happen in the private sector. Poor products result in termination, but no so with teachers. So for those of you who think teacher are overworked and underpaid, think again. The estimate of a teachers retirement plus health benefits close to 2 million dollar range, if one considers retirement at 55 and that person lives to 80. Plus Social Security.
Mar 25, 2009 00:07
GUESTHAN Very generally: "yes", the teaching profession is a 'decent' job (as you put it.

Naturally, depending on the level of teaching (kindergarten, high school, university; private or state managed), teachers in the private education sector earn higher salaries than those in public schools; therefore the quality of teaching would be better (foreign teachers).

The challenge (and problem) for the modern-day teacher is that students nowadays are well versed (and informed) - thanks to the internet. Therefore, teachers need more than traditional information (and thoughts) to 'teach' students. Otherwise, what the teacher teaches may be ineffective or credible to students.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is teaching a decent job in your country?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code