Menu
express train from Shanghai to Beijing ?
Sep 16, 2008 23:41
  • SEEKER2K
hi

for the high speed express do i need to make any reservations ? or can i just take it like any other train ?

thanks
Sep 17, 2008 00:26
  • REENTERGIRL
Hi,seeker2k,are you sure express train from Shanghai to Beijing has been completed?it is reported that it was started in Apr this year and will be finished in 2010.
Sep 17, 2008 14:06
Well, it depends on what you mean by express train and when you are travelling.

If you're planning on travelling around a national holiday, then yes, booking is advised - as early as you can. If I'm correct then ticket sales usually open 10 days prior to date of travel, although I'm sure someone can correct me.

I know of 4 train classes: Z class (modern top quality coaches), T class (next best extra fast), K class (fast) and D class (high speed daytime train). There's also regional trains with numbers rather than a letter prefix.

Have a look at http://www.seat61.com/China.htm - the guy has really done his homework and gives a great introduction in train travel in China.

Dave
Sep 18, 2008 23:07
  • SEEKER2K
thanks, great site, so the 2 berth soft sleepers are like mini hotel rooms, pretty cool.
Oct 25, 2008 00:29
  • ELLYSE
If you're talking about some really fast train that does it in 5 hours, this train is far from being anywhere in operation yet.
Here's a lowdown on the train choices for this route. Listed from the best quality train to the lousiest quality -- in terms of comfort.
1) Daytime D train (10 hours): 2nd-class seat 452 RMB, 1st-class seat 542 RMB
1) Overnight Z train (11.5 hours): soft seat 283 RMB, soft sleeper 478/499 RMB for upper/lower bunk
2) Overnight T train (13 hours): hard seat 179 RMB, hard sleeper 306/317/327 RMB for upper/middle/lower bunk, soft sleeper 478/499 RMB for upper/lower bunk
3) K train (19.5+ hours): can never get decent tickets, so don't bother with this
4) Lousy slow train (23+ hours): hard seat 88 RMB, hard sleeper 176/183/190 RMB, soft sleeper 290/304 RMB
I wouldn't suggest going by hard seat, it's really too traumatic and not worth the savings. The D train is too expensive and a waste of money. The hard sleepers for the T trains are almost impossible to get so don't count on them. My best options would be soft seat or soft sleeper on the Z trains.
Post a Reply to: express train from Shanghai to Beijing ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code