Menu
Why do Chinese talk about business at meals?
Sep 19, 2008 21:43
guest9129 I found a strange phenomenon: Chinese businessmen prefer to talk about business at meals. They often invite their business partners to have meals at luxurious restaurants. Don't think it is just a meal. At meals, they will talk about business with you. My friend tell me that many cases are done at table. Really strange! Why can't they talk about business in their office?
Sep 20, 2008 05:06
  • YINDUFFY
Many people feel more comfortable discussing business on a face to face level in a setting outside the workplace or in a "neutral"setting.
Sep 20, 2008 08:22
  • WCTMAN
The Chinese do not do business with strangers. So, a few meals, a little bit of bai jiao ( or whatever that paint thinner is called ), and if all goes well, some business might get done too. As a former outside sales guy myself for many years, I asked a good friend here in China what qualifications a good salesman must have. The answer: a good salesman must be able to drink...
Sep 23, 2008 04:57
  • JIMMYB
As a former outside sales guy myself for many years, I asked a good friend here in China what qualifications a good salesman must have. The answer: a good salesman must be able to drink...

WCTMAN, that is true. A salesman who is able to drink can make his business partners drunk. You see, it is very easy to sign a contract with a man who is not sober because he doesn't read the contract very carefully.

By the way, it should be Bai Jiu, not bai jiao. I am not a fan of bai jiu.
Sep 23, 2008 21:41
  • DODGER
I think you’ll find that most deals are hatched in places other than an office all over the world.
The golf course is also a place were business is done.
Only the crossing of the T’s and the dotting of the I’s is done in the office and that’s often left to the B team to do.
Dodger.
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese talk about business at meals?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code