Menu
altitude sickness in tibet
Apr 9, 2004 09:07
  • KATE
Is any one able to recommend an easy way of coping with altitude sickness if it occurs in Lhasa?
We are only there for 3 days
Apr 9, 2004 09:16
  • LUCY
I was there for 4 days last December but did not have any problem. My wife had headaches at night for a few dayS, she took some aspirins. I bought an oxygen bottle at the airport but did not have to use it. You can get something from your doctor, I forgot the name of the pills. Your body will adjust to the altitude in Lhasa within a few days, so i would not worry. I have asthma and nothing happened to me
Jun 28, 2004 21:31
  • VISITTIBET
You don't need to worry about the altitude sickness as if you focus on the following matters:

1. In addition to the normal medications for traveling recommended by your doctor, you should bring some thing to prevent symptoms of acute mountain sickness.
2. Take time to acclimatize, drink lots of water and bring purification tablets.
3. People suffering from heart, lung and kidney diseases should consult a physician before traveling to Tibet.

Jun 30, 2004 05:32
  • AOPAQ
As someone who ended up in the hospital for a week due to altitude sickness in the Andes, I truly believe one must be careful. My understanding is that it can strike anyone and is not dependent on your age, fitness level etc. I think the key is to be sure to progress to high altitude slowly so that your body can gradually adjust to the change. So that would mean not travelling up to Lhasa in just one day but trying to work your way up in a few days. I hope that your schedule will allow this although I think most people adjust without too much difficulty. However, if you are one of those who doesn't, spending time in a foreign hospital is not so much fun.
Post a Reply to: altitude sickness in tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code