Menu
Tattoo cultures in China and the West
Sep 22, 2008 22:40
  • LEONARDO
What do the western people think of the tattooed guys? The hot sitcom Prison Break’s main character Michael Scofield has inspired countless fanatic fans to have the “prison break tattoos”.

It is said that America has a tattoo culture of more than 150 years. It is comprehensible that most Americans are tolerant to the tattooed guys. Maybe, tattoo has a longer history in China than in the States. As early as the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279), Lady Yue gave her son Yue Fei(岳飞) (a patriotic general)a tattoo (Chinese character 精忠报国) reminding him to serve the country with the utmost loyalty.

Despite the fact that Yue Fei’s tattoo was highly praised by generations of Chinese, tattoo has long been a taboo in China. Before 1950s-1960s, most Chinese held the belief that “tattoos are the favored marks of crime syndicates”. Today, though tattoos are increasingly visible on backs, arms and necks of many trendy youngsters in Chinese cities, they remain taboo for many of the elder generation. A popular view among the elder is “tattoos are ugly, low class and an insult to your family.” A great number of Chinese still think less of tattooed guys.

What I am concerned about is if tattoo is very popular in the west? Are the tattoos just welcomed among the young people? Do the elder generations of westerners think less of the guys with tattoos?

Sep 23, 2008 16:30
I like them myself but then I have 14 on my arms, I think tattoos on the face etc are not such a good idea.
Some people do frown on tattoos, if a person asked me if they should get one I tell them to be certain they really want them, if they say yes then I advise them to go find a good tattoo parlour where they are licenced and they use new needles each time, dirty needles are bad news to your health.
Alan
Sep 24, 2008 18:42
GUEST60198
Tattoos have been around forever, but only began to gain respectability in America probably around 30 years ago as more talented artists entered the field, all aspects of the art progressed, and people became more liberal in their thinking regarding self-expression, etc.. Before that, getting tattooed was pretty much limited to the military- primarily sailors, and to people of low socio-economic status, which is why many older folks look down on tattooed people.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, tattoos are very popular in America- especially among younger people, certain athletes, etc., etc., but just like in China and some other countries, I guess, many people still consider a tattoo to be sign of the lower class, or- at the very least, not a Great Idea… which is the view I hold, oddly, I suppose, in that I was a professional tattoo artist for more than 10 years. Don’t get me wrong, however: in general, I still like much about the art; I’m simply trying to address your concerns.

FWIW, two hundred + years ago, Benjamin Franklin- statesman, scientist & writer, wrote, “… in this world nothing is certain but death and taxes”- a quote that probably every American knows. Well, I’d suggest that nothing is certain except death, taxes, and *CHANGE,* and that relates to tattoos because whatever image you might like to have tattooed on your body now... well, you might think Much Differently about it in the future. Just for example… well, who knows? Perhaps the tattooed TV star one wants to emulate now… will become an embarrassment & source of ridicule in the future. Yep… it's that pesky ol' “change” thing rearing its ugly head. I’ve seen it many, many times. Trust me on that one.

Also, sorta’ related, is that I’ve heard many times, “tattoos are addictive,” and yes, perhaps for some people they’re “addictive,” but I believe that many people get more than one tattoo simply because the first tattoo didn’t accomplish its intended goal, whether the person consciously recognizes it or not. It just didn’t work. It didn’t make the person appear to be stronger or beautiful or more desirable, or whatever. Incidentally, as silly as this may sound: I’d recommend that you never get an image tattooed on your body that you wouldn’t even hang a picture of in your home. Incredibly, many people do. Not so incredibly, many soon regret the decision.

A highly respected tattoo artist who was famous throughout the industry a couple of decades ago, and who contributed greatly to the current popularity of tattoos, once said that “tattoos are psychic armor,” which, for good or ill, is probably the best statement I’ve ever heard on the subject. So what’s the bottom line? > If it works for U… great. Just be aware that in the future, you might feel Very Differently about your choice of tattoos, and that some doors WILL be closed to you because you’re tattooed, so, frankly… you might *need* that “armor.”

Sep 24, 2008 21:31
  • BARONTWANGLE
In the UK they are seen as "down market" as many people who have them are working class. It is very different in other countries, but because I was raised in the UK, that is how I will always see them.

I also think that as we as humans get older, our tastes and perceptions change. Music we thought was good when we were teenagers is no longer good 10 or 20 years later. The same goes with fashion, hair styles, and behaviour. So one of the reasons I would never get one, even if I really wanted it, is because I know that one day I will change my mind.

Sep 26, 2008 02:23
A 53-old American man has over 1,900 tattoos of disney cartoons on his body. About a quarter of Americans have tatoos.

Sep 26, 2008 08:26
  • SONIA1985
hey,,,i hate that..........it looks scary
Sep 26, 2008 23:17
GUEST6311 Today, tattoo parlors are increasing throughout China. Governments at alll levels failed to regulate the business. They didn't enforce any safety codes. Tatoo parlors are free to use needles. (This was said illegal in the USA).

Most tattoo artists are self-taught. They don't have much experience. It was very dangerous.
Sep 27, 2008 12:16
  • YINDUFFY
Tattoo art is probably more popular now than in any time in world history. I usually refrain from commenting on tattoos because they are so permanent. Once someone gets one it is too late to change your mind.
Stories of people regretting their tattoo are many. I know a guy who got a tattoo of a logo of his favorite rock band. Now his interest in music has changed. I knew a girl who had tattoos on her wrists and regretted it years later. R.H. Macy, the department store founder had red star tattoos on the backs of his hands from when as a young man he was a merchant sailor. For the rest of his life when in business dealings, he would hide the backs of his hands - but the red star is still Macy's logo.
I believe that men get tattoos to impress other men and girls get tattoos to impress other girls. If you don't believe it - if you are a man, try staring at a girls tattoo and see what trouble it causes!
Sep 27, 2008 21:55
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Tattoos belong fine art. Women with tatooes of nice flowers look exquisite .

An artist (Qi Wei) presents tattoos for a fashion magazine.

Oct 5, 2008 21:14
  • LEONARDO
GUEST60198,
Thanks for sharing your personal experience as a professional tattoo artist. Now, I have a better understanding of tattoo in USA.

Just one thing: As you mentioned "getting tattooed was pretty much limited to the military', I wanted to point that it was quite contratray to China. In China, military servicemen are forbidden from getting tatooed. When recruiting new members for the PLA, candidates must undergo a physical checkup. Tatooed guys will be eliminated.

GUEST6311
>>Tattoo parlors are free to use needles. (This was said illegal in the USA)<<
I have the same concern. China seems to have lax regulations on tattoo business, Chinese tattoo parlors have much freedom to reuse needles. I was also told that American tattoo artists must apply for kinda of license for reusing needles.
Oct 6, 2008 01:44
GUEST60198 Leonardo~

You’re welcome. I’m happy to shed any light on the subject that I can.

Concerning the military & tattoos, it’s interesting to see just how leniently the (U.S.) services regard tattoos these days. Having been out of the business for several years now, I was surprised, frankly (as well as a little dismayed... but that’s another subject).

Army Changes Tattoo Policy
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/tattoopolicy.htm
“The change was made because Army officials realized the number of potential recruits bearing skin art had grown enormously over the years.”

On the subject of tattooists reusing needles, I’d suggest that one should be most wary of non-professionals or semi-professionals such as beginners/amateurs who might be tattooing out of their homes, etc.. In the US, at least, reputable, “professional” tattooists aren’t going to risk someone’s health (especially their own & their families’, etc.!), or at very least, risk reputation & business to save the tiny cost of a new needle. Also, health concerns such as proper sterilization, prophylactic measures to prevent cross-contamination, etc., etc., are taught, well-known, and in some areas, mandated, to serious tattoo artists.

FWIW, a few years ago, pre-made needles were relatively expensive. Today, however, imported tattoo needles are so INexpensive that it’d be ridiculous to reuse an old needle. Heck, beyond the obvious reasons, it’s simply not worth the time nor the effort to maintain an old needle. Frankly, if looking for a tattooist, I’d be much more concerned about the cross-contamination issue as it pertains to the artist’s work environment. Consider contaminated hands/gloves touching the tattoo machines, work table, bottles of inks, various dispensers, light switches, etc., etc., ad nauseam, and think about what might be found on such items if looked at under a microscope…

Guest60198
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tattoo cultures in China and the West
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code