Menu
Jobs in China
Sep 28, 2008 19:21
I'm not really sure what an expat is so i hope im not posting in the wrong area :)

Anyways i am graduating high school and i would really like to travel to China. I am CONSIDERING taking like a year off after high school and going to live/work in china. I have never been to china but it looks like a really interesting and diverse place that would be an exciting change of scenery from Atlantic Canada.

I understand that teaching is a fairley popular thing to do but im not sure if that is really my sort of thing. I was wondering if anyone has any experience working in china or knows of any good job opportunies.

Im pretty young, ill be 18 in September of next year, but people tell me i look older? haha and i believe im pretty matue and can take care of myself.

in other posts ive read about starting a business in china, i think that im a fairley business minded person but i dont think id have the appropriate funds to get anything off the ground. I would still be interested in knowing what kinds of businesses foreigner can sucessfully own in china.

I am probably going to get a bachelors degree before too long because i think its pretty important in getting jobs in the future. But i feel like if i went to university right now id be wishing that i decided to go to china instead. Although i might go to china for 2-3 months before university starts, im not really sure yet.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST but id really like some help/advice

thanks
Sep 28, 2008 19:25
p.s.

although im not sure i want to teach there im not by any means totally opposed to the idea. id be able to get a TESOL certificate but i have no degree.
Oct 2, 2008 22:34
  • JABAROOTOO
You can teach without a degree but it helps to have one. You will definately nee your TESOL especially give your youth and lack of experience.

Apart from teaching there is very little else you could expect to do unless you speak Mandarin fluently and even then it would take some Guan Xi or connections..............

Good luck. China is a great place to explore but not for the faint hearted.
Oct 5, 2008 10:59
  • APAULT
Because of our age and associated low qualifications, you might look at coming as a teacher through an organisation in your country or the USA. You would probably earn less and be in more exchange/volunteer role, but you should be in a more secure set-up and get the experience you are seeking, though less money.
Oct 15, 2008 21:33
GUEST47196 teaching would be fun
have fun
Post a Reply to: Jobs in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code