Menu
Any problem with custom's tax taking lots of stuff to Wuhan
Sep 30, 2008 22:32
  • DECIJ
I am an American, and I will be traveling to Wuhan to see the family of my deceased Chinese wife in about a couple of weeks. I would like to get gifts for people who have been nice to me, and it has been suggested that I buy ginseng for about 8 people. My question is if I buy 8 packages of ginseng and several other items (such as a couple of bottles of wine), will I have to pay import taxes, or will I have some other kind of weird problems. Thanks for any help you can give.

JD
Oct 1, 2008 01:11
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Welcome to the forum, JD.

On my last trip to China, I brought about 14 pounds of Wisconsin Ginseng for my 14 elderly relatives. Mine were in 1 pound plastic boxes about a little bit smaller than 4x6 that I put in my check in luggage didn't raise any flags at all. The worth of the Ginseng alone was about 610USD but the total worth of gifts I carried was about.... 2200USD (I was sort of a package boy for other family members to bring gifts back to the same elderly relatives on there behalf). I do remember that on the declaration form that I filled out on the plane en route to Guangdong had 2 questions about leaving gifts in China and that was if you were leaving any gifts of money or some items relating to radio transmission but I don't suggest you follow my example, I got lit on the plane since there were only 28 people on a huge plane with excess free spirits and a crazy friend(JAL).
Oct 1, 2008 07:22
  • DECIJ
I should have added that one relative would like a couple of bottles of wine. Will that be a problem. Thanks a lot for your help. Glad that I can bring a lot of gifts for my relatives.

Jeff
Oct 1, 2008 07:23
  • DECIJ
Early in the morning here in Ohio. Didn't realize that I previously asked about the wine. Apparently, bringing wine will not be a problem. Thanks again.

JD
Oct 1, 2008 09:49
  • GRIZ326
Going into China is easy; I have carried boxes of cigars and even game meat and fish into China without any trouble.

Returning to the USA is the problem.
Oct 1, 2008 18:58
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Steve,

I would deeply be interested in how you carried game meat and fish into China? Were they dehydrated beforehand? But its cool if you don't want to tell, that is like asking a guy for his fishing gps coordinates (which I don't like to give out as well).
Oct 1, 2008 19:25
  • DECIJ
Thanks a lot for your help.

JD
Nov 16, 2008 01:26
GUESTHJM i want to take an engagement ring to my fiance' in china, but can not find any information about duty or tarrifs when entering declaration in china. All I can find is that I am allowed to take up to 2 ounces of gold or silver. A diamond is not gold, and I don't want to get into trouble. Does anyone have any knowledge of what value of jewelry I am allowed to take into china? What about taxes to be paid if I must pay a duty tax?
Nov 16, 2008 06:38
  • ELLYSE
Don't bother. Who cares?
Post a Reply to: Any problem with custom's tax taking lots of stuff to Wuhan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code