Menu
Banking while traveling in China ?
Oct 5, 2008 00:28
  • SEEKER2K
Hi

Couple days until I leave, and I have a few questions regarding banking, while traveling in China.

1. I understand that China Construction Bank, is partners with BofA, so when I go there, will I be able to use my regular BofA account ?

next, can i just use my ATM there and get RMB automatically ?

2. Is there an equivalent or associated bank with JP Morgan & Chase (Washington Mutual) ?

3. what is the best bank / place for me to change USD to RMB ?

4. if I have too many RMB at the end of my trip, can I change them back to USD ?

thanks
Oct 5, 2008 11:13
  • APAULT
If you have an international credit/debit card connection (ie visa/mastercard etc) you will have no problem. It makes no difference who you bank with at home.

You can change US$ into RMB at major branches of the major banks, it is not usually very difficult. There is little fifference in the exchange rates and charges.

You can exchange RMB back to US$ by presenting your initial receipt. I have no idea whether an ATM receipt is accepted.

Are there equivalent banks to JPM???? Hmmmm, no, Chinese banks are not in danger of being declared bankrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Oct 5, 2008 12:45
  • SEEKER2K
ok, thanks.

conversely, does anyone know where (which bank) i can get RMB in LA, California, before i leave for China ?
Oct 5, 2008 12:46
  • SEEKER2K
heh, i can't find the edit button

which branches are best to go to, while in China ? i am unfamiliar with asian banking

thanks.
Oct 7, 2008 00:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Try the Bank of China for all your transactions but most others have internationl ATM services.

You can find ATMs and Money Exchange Kiosks in the arrivals area of all Major Airports especially those which are Ports of Entry to the Nation where you can change cash or withdraw RMB directly from your accounts.

My advice is to bring some cash but only use it for emergencies like loosing your cards etc.
Oct 9, 2008 23:52
  • SEEKER2K
cool, thank you, that helps a lot, i did not know i could withdraw RMB directly from my USD accounts, rocks.
Post a Reply to: Banking while traveling in China ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code