Menu
A rural girl would rather be a mistress than marry a poor man
Oct 11, 2008 03:17
  • LEOPOLD219
Recently, a Chinese girl who was born in late 1970s in countryside wrote a post at a web forum. She told her experience as a college graduate making a hard life in big cities in China. At the end of her post, she proclaimed that as a girl from rural China she would rather be kept as a rich man’s mistress than marry a poor man. Her proclaimation provoked internet-users strong reaction. Some condemed her being mercenary and shallow. Some showed sympathy for her. What do you think of this rural girl? If you are a rich man, will you marry her?

Oct 11, 2008 08:29
  • LOVEISVERB
Well, I guess(?) most people will have critical opinions about this.
But instead to criticize her as a materialized, shameless, desperate, money-worshiper *** , I would rather express my sorrow for a woman who lost her faith and confidence in MEN, comparatively money seems more solid and concrete and reliable than the commitment of LOVE from a man.

But sadly, she still is in need of a man, a rich one financially, but not emotionally.

Probably she is the only one said that, there are others share the same thoughts, regardless where they are from, rural or urban.
Oct 11, 2008 14:06
  • DAVEC
I think I respect her for her honesty. She is upfront with what she wants and is tricking nobody.
If I was rich and didnt already have a wonderful woman I would consider her, I value honesty.
Oct 11, 2008 18:57
  • EMMAYEE
I think that some idea should keep in mind instead of showing it off as it were honor of being honesty.4 SURE, she can tell some richman her kind of honesty but not making an ad looking 4 financial support which only risk her respect to all. by the way,isn it being a mistress just a long-term whore?
Oct 11, 2008 21:28
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Seems to me that she prefers to be a rich man's mistress because of money. What makes her any different from the common prostitute on the street? Can't she work a decent job to support herself?

Nevertheless, I do not approve of her decision but that is her life.
Oct 11, 2008 22:43
  • DODGER
Women in rural communities have few if any chance of advancing themselves, or of improving their life.
If I was faced with a lifetime of drudgery working in a field all day with a baby tied to my back or becoming some mans mistress I know which one I’d take.
Sometimes practicalities outweigh morals.
Dodger.
Oct 12, 2008 09:33
  • BITTERSWEET
In China, human development index (including equal chance to study at school) is low. A decade ago , rural and suburb girls flooded into big cities left fields for seeking jobs because agriculture didn't need excessive labors any more. A portion of them plunge into DARK industry but most of them are honest labors even own their businesses.

Now, China is begining to privatized lands in contryside, the girl in the pic would be a millionarie in the future.
Oct 12, 2008 09:51
  • LOVEISVERB
But normally, rich men only look for young and pretty girls as mistresses, women born in 1970s?....hmm, seems already too old for that, sorry.
And to be honest, she doesn't look so pretty(outside).
Oct 12, 2008 21:48
  • LEONARDO
Instead of criticizing her, I think she is honest. She is not the only girl from rural China who has the idea to shake off poverty.
As Dodger said, "Women in rural communities have few if any chance of advancing themselves, or of improving their life." For a rural girl who has endured the hardship of living the poor village, she is suffering from kinda "poverty-trauma". She knows quite well how hard a poor family's life is. She received a diploma which might be the only way out for many kids in the countryside to jump out of poverty. Would she marry a poor man and let the poverty pass down? I remember a line from Tim Kasser's book <The High Price of Materialism>: "Poverty is sometimes contagious."
Oct 14, 2008 22:35
  • ICEBLUE
If I remember correctly, a member on this forum ever said that “胃不可能充满爱"love can not fill stomach. I thought it helps to justify her proclamation.
Oct 14, 2008 23:25
  • JCNILE123
(((Chinese girl who was born in late 1970s)))

I do not think she is a girl any more, perhaps her time has come and go and she does not realize it.
If the man like's her and she is happy, I think it is her problem.

I think I pass...
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A rural girl would rather be a mistress than marry a poor man
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code