Menu
Google maps photos
Oct 16, 2008 03:41
  • GAFFER
I looked out of the window this morning to see a car driving past with a massive camera array mounted on the roof. On the back of the car I could see the Google logo. Presumably it was taking photos of houses (and cars in the drives) which will be displayed on Google Maps. What is the feeling about this invasion of privacy?
Oct 16, 2008 14:55
  • SETH
I can see your point Gaffer, but is it really invasion of property since they take outdoors pictures? It would probably bother you more to know how many cities and towns use airplane and satellite images to lay out houses and roads over maps and vice versa. The detail can be pretty fine, showing additions, swimming pools, cars, etc. This is for zoning, taxation, etc.

I think out technology may start to become more intrusive, but I hope not.
Oct 16, 2008 20:11
  • JIMMYB
Maybe, Google should pay money to us for invading our privacy. You know that Google use those images to make money.
Oct 16, 2008 21:19
  • DODGER
I understand your point Gaffer and the UK seems to be leading the charge in regards to installing more and more cameras.
I have no idea what the solution to the steady erosion of our privacy is.
Dodger.
Oct 17, 2008 03:46
  • GAFFER
I can understand the usefullness of such photos for business premises, (unless you got photgraphed leaving a massage parlour or sex shop). But I can't see why they need private houses. Maybe they are provinding a new service for car thieves or garden gnome collectors. However, this pales into insignificance with the news that the UK government now want to store information of ALL phone calls including VOIP, SMS messages, Emails and web searches in its fight against terrorism. With its history of computer disasters and lost data can you imagine...............? A move to China suddenly becomes quite inviting ;o)
Oct 17, 2008 13:25
  • CARLOS
Big brother is watching....
Lately someone asked why do we kill each other in the name of god. Perhaps it is time to ask why are we controlled more and more in the name of the war against terrorism?
Near every big sports event have much talking about civil rights in country where event is to be held.
It always is a good source for different instances to shout loud, but they don´t see how in our every day life our rights are walked over.

About Google, perhaps they want to offer more possibilities to see cities in "3-d"

I think Jimmy is at right way, nowadays all cost. Why couldn´t we ask Google some benefits using our homes to make money?

Carlos

Oct 19, 2008 21:44
  • JIMMYB
Maybe all people in the world can sue Google for invading their privacy. You see, they take photos of your house without any permission. I am sure that Google will collapse, hehe.
Oct 22, 2008 14:07
  • GRIZ326
Here's my property in Eureka, Montana. Satellite pictures are not all bad.

Oct 22, 2008 16:57
Nice Place Griz... all those trees must make a nice noise when the wind gets up!

But in answer to the question I think that the ability to travel the globe virtually, and to navigate your where-abouts by Sat Nav anywhere in the world is one of the modern wonders which I really value, so if my privacy gets invaded from time to time, so be it :-)
Oct 23, 2008 02:42
  • GAFFER
The ability for Google Maps to show both map and terrain down to street level is good and can be very useful when travelling in addition to SatNav. My gripe is why they need to take a photo of your house from the end of the drive and display it without even asking if you agree.
Oct 23, 2008 04:57
  • SETH
CArlos - good observation. I think it was Ben Franklin (American stateman, inventor, etc.) who said something like "those who give up liberty in exchange for security will soon have neither". Just in the years since 9/11/2001, across the world freedoms and liberties have been cut back or just removed/ended because of people's fears and government attempts to provide security.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Google maps photos
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code