Menu
Halloween!
Oct 17, 2008 20:57
  • YINDUFFY
Here in the U.S. we are getting ready to celebrate Halloween on October 31st. Children will wear costumes and go through their neighborhoods ringing doorbells and shouting "Trick or treat!" and they will be given gifts of candy. Many of the costumes will be of ghosts or ghouls.
Chinese culture looks at ghosts differently than Christian countries. I think the Chinese take ghosts very seriously and do not make jokes about them.
Would Halloween ever be popular in China?
Oct 18, 2008 17:59
  • COOLSPRINGS
Be careful of Candies with milk element made in ??
Oct 19, 2008 02:05
  • DAVEC
How soon before the politically correct brigade ban halloween??
After all, going to someones house, uninvited, and asking for a treat otherwise you play trick on them is really classed as intimidation
Oct 19, 2008 19:38
  • COOLSPRINGS
<<How soon before the politically correct brigade ban halloween??
After all, going to someones house, uninvited, and asking for a treat otherwise you play trick on them is really classed as intimidation >>

That is correct, Dave. That's why i just buy chocolates in case strangers knock at my doors on this date, which shows respects to customs of the place where i live and I don't like my child to be an unexpected visitors although I buy him costumes.
Oct 20, 2008 19:05
  • YINDUFFY
If a house does not put it's outside lights on, the kids know that they should move on to one that is lit up and has decorations for the holiday. Those families welcome Trick-or-Treaters.
Parents of small children accompany them and wait by the street as the kids ring doorbells. During the two or three hour period in a good neighbor hood a kid can get a good haul of candy! It is as much fun for the parents as the kids to see groups of costumed children moving from house to house laughing and playing.
Oct 31, 2009 20:41
  • MARRIE
From WiKi:

Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio

Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio or Liaozhai Zhiyi (also Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio or Strange Tales of Liaozhai, simplified Chinese: 聊斋志异; traditional Chinese: 聊齋誌異; pinyin: Liáozhāi zhìyì) is a collection of nearly five hundred mostly supernatural tales written by Pu Songling in Classical Chinese during the early Qing Dynasty.

The compilation was first circulated in manuscript form before it was published posthumously. Sources differ in their account of the year of publication. One source claims the "Strange Tales" were published by Pu's grandson in 1740. However, the earliest existing print version today dates to 1766.

Pu is believed to have completed the majority of the tales sometime in 1679, though he could have added entries as late as 1707.

Oct 31, 2009 20:42
  • MARRIE
Pu borrows from a folk tradition of oral storytelling to put to paper a series of captivating, colorful stories, where the boundary between reality and the odd or fantastic is blurred. The cast of characters include vixen spirits, ghosts, scholars, court officials, Taoist exorcists and beasts. Moral purposes are often inverted between humans and the supposedly degenerate ghosts or spirits, resulting in a satirical edge to some of the stories.

Oct 31, 2009 20:43
  • MARRIE
from wiki

Ghosts and spirits are often bold and trustworthy, while humans are on the other hand weak, indecisive and easily manipulated, reflecting the author's own disillusionment with his society.

Oct 31, 2009 20:45
  • MARRIE
from wiki

The stories differ broadly in length. Conciseness is the key, with the shortest stories under a page in length.

Liaozhai Zhiyi has inspired countless Chinese film adaptations, including those by King Hu (Painted Skin), Ching Siu-tung (A Chinese Ghost Story series) and the Taiwanese director Li Han-Hsiang. It also inspired the TVB Series Dark Tales and Dark Tales II.

Oct 31, 2009 20:46
  • MARRIE
from wiki

Franz Kafka admired some of these tales in translation; in a letter to Felice Bauer (Jan 16, 1913) he described them as "exquisite". Jorge Luis Borges also strongly admired the story "The Tiger Guest", writing a prologue for it to appear in his Library of Babel, a collection of writings on his favourite books.

Oct 31, 2009 20:51
  • MARRIE
Western Ghost film is not that scary, honestly speaking.

The most excellent ghost movies shots are produced in HK, in my opinion.

Here's the most terrified movie that makes hair stand on end i ever seen. It was produced in HK in 1960s. It did scare a couple of people to death in the theater.

The painted face.-the lady on the left is a ghost shown below

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Halloween!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code