Menu
Can my kid have my surname?
Dec 18, 2008 19:37
GUEST16068 can a english person have his mums surname and its dads surname and use both as its surname
Dec 30, 2008 08:24
  • APAULT
Yes, definitely. In fact as I understand English law, you can give your child any names you like ( a few exceptions for profanities etc)
Feb 4, 2009 05:03
GUESTWAKKA The case:
A single mother and the father is out of the picture. The child's lastname is same as the mother. How about the middle name for the child? It is okay not give the child a
Normally, in our country if married, middle name is the lastname of the mother and last name of child is father's lastname.
Feb 4, 2009 22:18
  • KATRINA
Normally, in our country if married, middle name is the lastname of the mother and last name of child is father's lastname.

GUESTWAKKA, there is still discrimination. Why can't we have the mother's lastname as her child's last name and the father's last name as the child's middle name?
Feb 4, 2009 22:39
GUESTWAKKA katrina, we do not want to put the father's lastname since he is out of the picture. But I guess, in this case, it is okay not to give a child a middle name. Just the lastname of the mother.
Jun 12, 2009 10:34
GUEST15795
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQQ View Post

Can my kid have my surname? Of course. Why not?

What do you think of this idea? It might not be a good idea. Why can't I have my son have my surname? What if two sides compromise? They can let their kid have both their surnames, I mean, creating a compound surname. One of my classmates in college had such kind of a compound surname "Zhen...

Well, that's sounds a good idea. But when this "Zheng He" have a kid, then his wife demanding the same thing, maybe their kids have "Zheng He Li" or "Zheng He Wang". Then when this "Zheng He Li" grew up, have a kid, so his kids will be "Zheng He Li Chen" or "Zheng He Li Zhou". Imagine, in 10 generations what kind of surname they will get? The surname will be too long. Anyway, like I said, that's maybe a good idea......
Mar 8, 2010 20:41
GUEST49276 Chinese urban women are better valued after 1950's communist "facelift", since Mao believe gender equality is the key to measure how equal is the society. It is not rare that newly liberated women named their daughters after mother's names. After some years, most women do not care any more and followed tradition especially after one child policy, most family follow tradition of naming their only kid after their father.

Name is just simbol, better family hormony is more important than name :-)

A Chinese woman
Mar 8, 2010 20:58
GUEST49276 By Zhu Zhe (China Daily)

Traditionally, the father's family name is the first choice for a Chinese kid's surname, although the use of the mother's name is not uncommon.

But babies could soon have a surname combining the parents' family names.

So, if a father's family name is Zhou, and the mother, Zhu, the baby could have four options for the surname: Zhou, Zhu, Zhouzhu or Zhuzhou.

A regulation on name registration drafted by the Ministry of Public Security (MPS) allows a baby to have the combined surname.

The ministry said it had distributed the draft to police departments across the country for comments.

The Marriage Law stipulates that a newborn can have the surname of either the father or the mother, but does not mention a combined surname.

A nationwide survey released by the MPS in April shows that about 85 percent of the Chinese share only 100 surnames, with Wang being the most popular.

There are 93 million Wangs in China, followed closely by 92 million with the family name Li and 88 million called Zhang, Xinhua said in a report.

Another seven common names - including Chen, Zhou and Lin - have at last 20 million members each, it added.

The Chinese Academy of Sciences has reported that at least 100,000 people share the name of "Wang Tao", making it the most popular.

Such names cause great trouble in daily life; and the new regulation can vastly reduce name repetition, said Guan Xihua, a household registration officer with the Beijing public security bureau.

Based on the existing 1,600 often-used surnames, another 1.28 million surnames could be created, she said.

Du Ruofu, a researcher on Chinese surnames who retired from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, said combined surnames are becoming popular with young, modern couples, though they are not strictly permitted by law.

He said including the mother's surname also shows gender equality and a clear stipulation would promote the trend.

Seven of the 10 people China Daily randomly surveyed said they welcome such a change, with the rest against it.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can my kid have my surname?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code