Menu
Is Churchill a bulldog or a softie?
Oct 23, 2008 03:57
  • PANADA
Britain’s former Prime Minister Winston Churchill once nicknamed as a “bulldog” for his toughness. Recently, the British tabloids have unvealed the romantic love letters from his wive. The tabloids said that “the tough guy enjoyed reading love letters and romantic drawings of hearts—probably more than flaunting his cigars.”

His wife Clemmie often addressed him as “my sweet amber boy” and “my precious one”. The tough guy had its delicated face.

Oct 23, 2008 03:58
  • PANADA
Churchill & his wife

Oct 26, 2008 16:46
  • YINDUFFY
Like a dog, he was a softie but when his territory was threatened, he became fierce.
Oct 26, 2008 21:53
  • DODGER
I remember watching his funeral entourage practicing four weeks before he died.
If I remember correctly he was re-elected PM at the age of 80.
He used to start the days work in bed with a cigar and a glass of scotch.
His Mother was American and he always gave her the credit for his tenacity.
Dodger..
Oct 27, 2008 00:12
  • GARYKINKADE
A great orator, political figure and one of the few(?) people of the British Gov't forewarning of the Nazi buildup and menace to Europe prior to WW2.
Some of his military tactics and strategy were questioned and controversial both in WW1 and WW2 but that can be argued to the nth. degree both for and against.
Nov 10, 2008 16:51
Garykinkade.... one of the few(?).... not at all... from discussions with my father and grandfather (WWII and WWI veterans respectively) I understand that most of the population in Great Britain knew war to be inevitable throughout the 1930s, but also that most wanted to do all possible to avoid repeat of the carnage of the WWI conflict - hence the rather difficult to understand (in retrospect) public support, and political appetite, for apeasement. Churchill may have just been more realistic and less idealistic than others in government at the time.

His resolution and unbending defiance, combined with his undoubted skills in oratory, were undoubtedly massive assets to the fighting nation throughout the war years, but were less in tune with peacetime aspirations post-war. The British nation, and possibly the whole world, owes him a great debt for his service during the second world war period, but I recognise that there are many who can reasonably challenge his judgement in prior and later years. His record is far from unblemished, and though my Grandfather would not hear a word said against him, my Father would give him not an ounce of respect.

So... Bulldog or Softie? I think neither.... Just a man, with full complement of strengths and weaknesses... but I am glad he was there at the time, and will give my repect to all those who fell, in all wars since, tomorrow at 11.00am
Nov 17, 2008 03:33
GUEST1714 Who said Churchill was a softie? He was the most manly man in UK. Without him, UK couldn't have survived the Second World War. As a husband, he was reasonably sweet and nice to his wife. That was what a good husband should do to his wife.
Post a Reply to: Is Churchill a bulldog or a softie?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code