Menu
Saharov-award to Hu Jia
Oct 28, 2008 13:51
  • CARLOS
Peace Nobel was given this year to Martti Ahtisaari, former Finnish president. Hu Jia was one of those who were considered to get it.

Carlos
Oct 28, 2008 20:07
  • JIMMYB
So Hu Jia failed to get the Nobel Prize of Peace? Good.

Carlos, I am not familiar with Martti Ahtisaari, former Finnish president. As a Finnish, you must know more about him. Could you tell me something about him? What makes him win Nobel Prize of Peace?
Oct 29, 2008 14:21
  • CARLOS
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2008/

Just curious, Jimmy, why is it good Hu Jia didn´t get Nobel?

Carlos
Oct 29, 2008 20:31
  • JIMMYB
Carlos, Chinese government is satisfied to see this. China once warned that Hu was a criminal and that honouring Nobel Peace Prize to him would amount to interfere in China's internal affairs.

Oct 30, 2008 13:05
  • CARLOS
Yes, I think it is not always necessary to act like a wrangler. Many times politics only raise their own profile and eg. human rights are always a good excuse.

Carlos
Oct 30, 2008 20:32
  • JSUMMERS83
I don't understand why the Chinese government doesn't get that the more it protests and cries over a small prize that honestly before this month I had never heard of, the more it shoots itself in the foot.

The only reason this "Hu" story made its way all over the world is because news agencies were carrying the story about how the Chinese government was threatening, complaining, and basically belly-aching. Come on, China...you're the big boy in this world playground...there's no need for all that.

As for Griz and Dodger earlier in this thread, I completely understand your fondness for this country you live in (or lived in), but give me a break! I agree, we need to clean up our own back yards, but all they did was honor an activist with an unknown prize. If you ask me that's a very small thing to do, and yet you're acting as if they've stormed the capital. One reason that China has made the progress that it has thus far is because of worldwide attention on its problems. It is a tool that can and should be used to help those who can't easily be helped, whether they are in China or any other country in the world.
Oct 30, 2008 22:42
  • DODGER
JSummers, the dissident in question, Hu Jia would have known full well the reaction of the Chinese government and exploited it to his own ends. (What ever they are?) Much the same in fact as the Dali Lama has been doing for the past 20 odd years.
I agree with you however on the way that this government appears to sometime overreact in some situations. Many other Asian governments react in a similar way.
But one of the major reasons that counties have embassies is for their respective diplomats to report back to their political masters as to the reaction to be expected by taking such and such a course.
The so called European Parliament would have known full well the reaction of the Chinese government in awarding this “prize” It is easy to create confrontation.
Other than trying to create a reason for its existence I fail to see the point.
It now wants to create its own army!
Dodger.
Oct 31, 2008 14:33
  • CARLOS
I´m a little surprised You don´t know Saharov prize. It has been given since 1988. But never mind.

I think all knows H-bomb. Well, it was developed by Andrei Saharov. Funny, isn´t it? Actually, H-bomb was quite effective and Saharov noticed how very easy it was to destroy our ball called the earth. He rise against the system and was jailed for years. He was given the Nobel peace prize 1975 but of course the Soviet government wouldn´t let him to pick it. Saharov died 1989.

Anyway, even though these things are serious, I can´t help myself finding a little amusing that peace prize is given to a man who invents H-bomb.
Wait... wasn´t it Alfred Nobel who invented dynamite?

Carlos
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Saharov-award to Hu Jia
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code