Menu
Vespa from Hong Kong to Beijing
Oct 27, 2008 09:25
  • PRONTO
Good people,

I am planning to ride my Vespa scooter from Hong Kong to Beijing in December - I have done some research into what is required on the Hong Kong government website but there is not much information about China. Can anyone help me with some advice about permits, visa and if a motorcycle registered in Hong Kong is allowed to use the roads in China.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate your help.
Oct 28, 2008 00:28
  • APAULT
You will need a Chinese licence.

Motor bikes are not allowed in some cities..eg Guangzhou.

I have been told that you need to get permission from each province before you enter it and this takes quite some time. If you don't have a licence or the papers or you enter a 'forbidden city' (haha) you risk having the motorbike confiscated until you pay the fine. There is some discretion for foreigners but you cannot rely on it. Electric bikes are not subject to the rules except being prohibited in some cities (too many motor and electric bikes clog the roads and stop the rich getting around, you see). How about getting an electric bike here andbuying extra batteries to give you the range, or buy a small motor which you can run and charge the battery as you go.

Oct 28, 2008 10:14
  • PRONTO

Thanks for the information about a Chinese drivers license - I will need that before anything else can happen.
Nov 1, 2008 11:12
GUEST86116 Why not just buy a motor bike in China. Others are doing it. Get your license and you should be able to go anywhere????
Keep the visa down on your helmet and no-one will ever know the difference.
Nov 2, 2008 06:30
  • PRONTO

Thanks people, I have a few ideas on what to do now.
Nov 14, 2008 03:49
GUEST13292 Hey, when do u start ur trip?
Mar 3, 2009 12:34
  • WANGTA
Quote:

Originally Posted by PRONTO

Thanks people, I have a few ideas on what to do now.

Did you ever go on the trip? I am curious to hear - I thought some parts of China did not allow motorcycles/scooters, like Shenzhen (not sure you would want to ride through there either). Shanghai and Beijing don't allow motorcycles either - although I've seen pictures from people who world travelled with their motorcycles, who were for some reason, allowed to ride in the cities.
Aug 28, 2010 08:45
GUEST51688 what type of vespa are you riding?
Post a Reply to: Vespa from Hong Kong to Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code