Menu
Private accommodation. Registration?
Nov 8, 2008 14:04
  • ZHUHAI08
I have made hotel reservations for my next stay in China, but I have decided to cancel the reservation and stay with a chinese friend instead.
Do I have to get approval from the local authorities to do this? I'm thinking in terms of some kind of registration of where i am staying?
Thanks
Nov 9, 2008 01:05
  • BJLEEO
In fact, after you go to your friend's apartment, you are required to register in the local police station within 24 hours of arrival.
You'd better ask your friend to go with you.
Nov 9, 2008 04:35
  • JABAROOTOO
It's not so much that you need approval but you need to register.
Hotels do it automatically for you but if you stay in private residences you must do it yourself or take your friend to help
Nov 9, 2008 09:56
  • APAULT
As I understand the regulation, the onus is on the host to register you, they are the ones who cop the trouble if any arises. Howwever, hardly any Chinese are aware of the regulation and when I have proposed it my hosts didn't know and said not to bother. But it's probabaly worth insisting if it is a long stay..

On a related point I was evicted from a budget hotel by police recently... look for the thread if interested, tho not a lot to add.
Nov 10, 2008 11:48
  • JIMPANZY
Get your friend to send you a letter of invitation and send this letter with your visa application
Dec 11, 2008 08:26
  • ZHUHAI08
Decided to stay at hotel after all, so no trouble :-)
Just out of curiosity: What will actually happen if you don't go to the police station and registrer? I assume that they will not come and look for you, but will there be any trouble when leaving the country (getting a fine or other kind of penalty)?
Dec 12, 2008 10:29
  • APAULT
Mostly, the Chinese host will be at risk of reprimand, though I have not heard of any action being taken. Most Chinese are totally unaware of the regulation anyway! My friends all insisted there was no need to register me.

You are unlikely to be penalised as the onus is on the host to register you (just as a hotel does).
Dec 13, 2008 16:12
  • GAFFER
When you register you are issued with a document which you must carry with your passport (in case you are stopped by the police for any reason). The person with whom you stay will need to accompany you to the police station closest to their home with their ID card, hukou and documents which prove ownership or otherwise of their home.... and perhaps also to act as interpreter. You will need your passport, travel documents and some patience. You might be asked about your relationship and reason for staying there.
Dec 14, 2008 20:46
  • APAULT
Which explains why no-one is enthusiastic about doing this!
Dec 15, 2008 00:31
  • BJLEEO
It is required to register.
If you don't do so, according to the law issed in the 1980's, you can be fined up to 500 rmb if the policeman can find you.

And the registration form is required when doing visa extension in Public Security Bureau.
Dec 16, 2008 14:07
  • GAFFER
I register to avoid embarrassment or problems for the people I stay with. In this kind of community living I understand that some residents take careful note of unusual comings and goings which are then "reported". As a white foreigner about a foot taller than everyone else I'm easily noticed. Having registered the first time it becomes easier on subsequent occasions as your details have already been documented. The interpreter is essential as English speaking police personnel are not common. The form is all in Chinese including your name. (first time I had seen mine in Chinese :o) My relationship turned out to be husband. I'm not sure if that was simply easier, a mistake or a cunning plan;o)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Private accommodation. Registration?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code