Menu
Why do they change their nationalities?
Nov 13, 2008 01:11
  • KATRINA
Recently, a report says that Gong Li, a famous Chinese actress has changed her nationality. From now on, she becomes a Singaporean. This report has aroused a heated discussion among Chinese netizens.

Most netizens are very angry. They say that Gong Li is a traitor. After earning a lot of money in China, she chooses to change her Chinese citizenship. This is unacceptable. Some even say that all Chinese should unite to boycott Gong Li and her films. Only a few say that they don't care about this. "They have freedom to change their nationalties and this is non of others' business."

Gong Li is not the first one who changes the nationality. Cheng Kaige (a famous Chinese director), Liu Yifei, Wei Wei ect have all changed their nationalities.

Why are those Chinese netizens about those entertainment stars who change their nationalities? Are they patriots?

Gong Li declares to be a Singaporean.

Nov 13, 2008 03:02
  • AL32
"Treator": this is typical Chinese reaction.

Is she married with a Singaporean? Maybe she has good reasons to chose this (just financial maybe...)

Are they angry because they lose a good actress or is it something else that upset them?
Because this seems a pretty selfish attitude from who ever complains about it.

No matter what, she is still the same person and I'm sure that she is or was not ashame to be Chinese.
Nov 13, 2008 04:45
  • DODGER
What Id like to know Katrina is, are you angry about this defection?
What do these people think about the hundred of thousands of Chinese who live in Europe and North America and Australasia who have chosen to take out the nationality of their adopted countries? Are they seen as traitors too?
As it happens I hold two different passports and the first thing that I did when my sons were born was make sure that they had a Euro passport along with their Australian one.
No Country owns me and I give allegiance only when I choose to.
Maybe Gong Le thinks the same?
Dodger.
Nov 13, 2008 13:28
Dual nationality are quite common these day's, I think you will find she is still proud to be Chinese!
Alan
Nov 13, 2008 17:17
IMHO Gong Li can do not wrong... she has been great ambassador through her acting, and I will not doubt the honour of choices she makes....
Nov 13, 2008 19:22
  • KATRINA
Dual nationality are quite common these day's, I think you will find she is still proud to be Chinese!

Alan, China doesn't accept dual nationality according to the law. You only have two choices: be a Chinese or be a foreigner.

Is she married with a Singaporean? Maybe she has good reasons to chose this (just financial maybe...)

Al32, you are so clever. His husband Huang Hexiang is Singaporean. I guess that is why she chooses to be a Singaporean.

What Id like to know Katrina is, are you angry about this defection?

Dodger, I am not angry. Everyone has the right to live his/her own life. There is a Chinese saying: "嫁鸡随鸡,嫁狗随狗". In English, it means "follow the man you marry, be he fowl or cur". Her husband is Singaporean so it is reasonable for her to have Singaporean citizenship. By the way, having Singaporean citizenship benefits Gong Li a lot. Maybe, Gong Li thinks that her kid's future is brighter in Singapore. And also it is good for Gong Li's career.

Nov 13, 2008 20:55
  • SHESGOTTOBE
It is her life and she has a right to change nationalities whatever she wants to. People all over the world do this all the time. I don't think anyone has a right to hold her back. Many people are dual citizens. Pretty soon, it won't be unusual to be called a world citizen or something. The world is getting smaller because we as humans are becoming more broadminded.
Nov 14, 2008 00:24
  • JIMMYB
Hmm, I am wondering what they will say about those girls who marry the foreigners. I can foresee that those girls will be more pathetic than Gong Li.
Nov 16, 2008 22:48
GUESTBRIT China does not allow her citizens to have dual nationalities; so Gong Li is no longer a citizen of the PR of China. She chose a Singaporean citizenship perhaps because her husband is a Singaporean. Other reasons that may have influenced her include "survival" (easier to travel anywhere in the world as a Singaporean); Singapore population is 83% Chinese ethnic; and it's only hours away by plane to China.

I think there are many Chinese who will want to take up other countries' citizenship given a choice. Not because they don't love China but more for economic reasons - opportunities to make money (US$, Euros, Singapore $, etc yield better exchanges than Chinese Yuan).

The diaspora of Chinese worldwide (since World War 2) in itself reflects the Chinese desire to have a better quality of life outside China - and for the Chinese, money and materialistic things override nationalism or patriotism.

Simply put, the Chinese who have made it (in terms of material success) feel more "at home" outside their mother country because they wish to enjoy the freedom that their wealth afford them.
Nov 20, 2008 16:18
  • GRIZ326
My first thought as I read this is that no one can change their nationality, but they can change their citizenship. However, the dictionary says, "The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization." You learn something new every day...or in my advancing years...re-learn something lost in the passage of time ;-)
Post a Reply to: Why do they change their nationalities?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code