Menu
Student Visa
Nov 19, 2008 23:21
  • JIEGAO8
Hi,

I'm currently a college student and am going to study abroad next semester in Shanghai. I believe that the school over there will soon mail me a JW202 to apply to some type of student visa, which I believe will only allow me to stay in China for 3 months (because I will only be studying for 3 month) HOWEVER, I'm planning to arrive early to FuJian to celebrate Chinese New Year, then go to Shanghai, and then continue to stay in China for about a month after the semester ends, which mean in conclusion I'm going to be in China for about 6 months or so. What can I do in this situation?

Can I apply to some other type of Visa and still attend school over there? Or do I have to somehow renew my Visa in China, I heard you don't have to go to HK, and that local police station will be able to renew it for you? I previously had a China Passport and went to China with it once, but since I got my U.S Passport, I've never traveled to China with it. I'm so confused now...I'd be glad if someone can answer my questions. Thanks a bunch!
Nov 20, 2008 08:08
  • JABAROOTOO
You can try for a six months tourist or business visa. Then once you arrive you can get the school to have a look at the situation for you.

They will generally give you a few weeks beyond your study period but it may not be worth even going for a student visa for the period of time that you need.

You can certainly arrive before you begin your study. They may just want to see you ticket and you can extend it once you've arrived or ask the school to extend it to convert duration of your intended stay.

Sorry can't be more help.

Nov 20, 2008 09:23
  • DODGER
My only concern would be that Chinese Australians are advised that if they travel to China on their Chinese passports they will not be able to receive any help from the Australian consulate as they would be considered Chinese citizens.
I would presume that the same rules apply for the US.
Dodger.
Feb 3, 2009 23:27
GUEST61224 i have a question for all the guest..

I have "X" VISA , i know this kind of visa is from student , but in my chinese visa it say : DURATION OF EACH STAY 000 days after entry.

it say 000 .... WHAT IS THE MEANING??..

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME .. :)
Mar 5, 2009 08:20
GUEST46160 that means u r only allowed single entry into china and ur visa will expire within 30 days of ur arrival. u need to extend the visa when u have arrived. ur sch shd sort it out for u. cos u can't renew it without documents given to u by the school anyway. u need to provide ur body check results too.
Post a Reply to: Student Visa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code