Menu
Going from Kunming to Hanoi, visa question
Nov 24, 2008 01:39
guest74238 Hi.

My wife and I are Canadians, resident currently in Korea (english teachers). We're planning to travel through Asia for a few months, starting in Beijing next year, mid February. We'd like to travel south from Beijing, to Xian, Chengdu, then Kunming. From Kunming we'd like to go to Hanoi. I've researched the trip from Kunming to Hanoi, I know it's not the most pleasant overnight bus ride from Kunming to the Vietnamese border. That's ok, we'll manage.

We'll be applying for our visas here in Seoul, and I rather doubt we'll be booking our bus tickets to the Vietnamese border in advance. That means we'd be applying for our Chinese visas without having tickets out of China. We have other tickets booked already, for instance from Singapore to India etc., but nothing directly out of China.

Will this be a problem? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? I am concerned that our visas will be rejected because we don't have a flight out of China; or, that we'll have trouble at the airport upon landing.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin
Nov 24, 2008 23:22
  • GERRY3999
Kevin, I think the information I have pasted below should help answer the question. This information was taken from the PRC website for visa applications (outside PRC).

Section 2
2.1 Please select the purposes of your visit(s) to China. If your purpose(s) to China are not listed above, please specify the details.
2.2 Please select the number of entry of your visit(s) to China with the visa. Visa normally comes into valid from the date of application.
2.3 The date of your possible entry into China.
2.4 Please fill in the number days among the entries you intend to stay in China. If the entries are more than 2, please fill in the number of your longest stay.
2.5 Please list the name of cities/counties, provinces you intend to visit in China in a time sequence.
2.6 Please select the intended date of pickup of the visa.

I too am Canadian, and I have not been asked about exit tickets when I came to China in 2006, 2007, simply the date of exit of my visit. I moved here in 2008 (Shanxi), and have a multiple entry visa now that I work here.

I hope you enjoy that trip. I have done many of the places you mentioned in your post. I hope that you can make some local connections in those cities before you get here, as it really adds a flavour to your trip that you will not experience on your own or with a group tour. Most ATM machines have a daily limit of 2500 Yuan (RMB), so if you and your wife need access, I suggest opening 2 accounts that will allow you to have access to more money.
Have a great trip,
Gerry
Nov 25, 2008 17:29
GUEST37866 Hi Gerry,

Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate it. You've made me cautiously optimistic.

Good point about having two bank accounts to draw from. I hadn't thought of that.

As for local contacts, I think you're right, it would add to the experience. However, we'll probably just be traveling on our own (no tour groups!). If we were staying long term in China, we'd definitely try to make some contacts before landing, but due to time constraints we'll be sort of hurrying through in three weeks.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.
Kevin

Dec 8, 2008 20:42
GUEST24165 I recently dealt with the Chinese embassy (in LA). It seems to me if you answer the questions on the Visa Form and pay them the money they do not care about anything else.
Dec 12, 2008 10:47
  • APAULT
I think the last guest's observations are essentially correct for 99% of applicants.
Post a Reply to: Going from Kunming to Hanoi, visa question
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code