Menu
Which is best for cruise to Yangshuo: small or large boat?
Nov 28, 2008 18:57
  • NIEKIE
Can anyone give me advise on which boat to choose for a Guilin - Yangshuo cruise?

I know that there are big boats with multiple decks, but also small (illegal?) private speed boats. Which boat do you prefer to take? What are the pro's and con's for each option?

Your input is much appreciated.

Niekie

Nov 29, 2008 02:11
  • DAVEC
I went on big boat, I got better photos when higher up than at water level. Trip takes several hours so you can also walk around and stretch your legs. The boat I went on was for Chinese and not for foreign tourists so I got it a bit cheaper although couldnt understand much of the commentary. They supplied plenty of food and tea during the trip.

I suppose the main worry about taking a private boat is the honesty of the people who you dont know, what if they stop part of the way and drop you off, you could be in the middle of nowhere. Although main advantages have to be less crowds and maybe the ability to stop when you want to explore more.
Nov 29, 2008 10:22
  • JABAROOTOO
We did and we also took our time and swam from our raft

and I think the best boat trip is by raft on the smaller river out the back or town.

Reason is it is quieter. The other boats make a lot of noise going upstream against the current and depending the time of day there are just too many of them.
Nov 29, 2008 12:06
  • APAULT
The big boats are fine and not too crowded and I agree u get a good view from the upper deck. The commentary is not very useful: it tells you this mountain is on the 20 rmb note, and this is the pregnant woman mountain, but if you want to know real history or anything about the geormorphology, you will be disappointed. I took an inclusive tour which included the bus from the hotels in town and back to Guilin. If you catch it at the first hotel you have a boring hour ahead of you as you visit the city hotels. Then when you are just outside the city you pull into a souvenier complex for 45 minutes. If you plan to return to Guilin you get a couple of hours in Yangshou before you return to Guilin. NOTE: you cannot take the big boat back upstream, they cannot handle the current and low water levels fully laden

There are small speedboats with a good reputation from travel agents and hotels/hostels. The price is quite good if u can get a full group together.: but you have to do it, they don't. . I consider this is a better option as the big boat trip is long and after a while you have seen as many karst features as you can take in. The speedboat can cover just part of the trip and then take you back.

The $$ conscious traveller can catch a train north or south of Guilin and see plenty of karst, but not the river.

Otherwise you can catch a bus to various loations on the river and follow Jabs' advice and take a leisurely raft along a shorter section, or on a tributary. There are a couple of interesting and relatively unspoilt villages you can visit, too.
Post a Reply to: Which is best for cruise to Yangshuo: small or large boat?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code