Menu
What's the difference between orange and tangerine?
Dec 1, 2008 01:17
  • XIAOXIAO
I have a question: what's the difference between orange and tangerine? Since English is not my mother tongue, I don't know how to express it exactly in English. Please look at the following pictures.

In Chinese, we have three kinds of fruits and they look similar to each other.

The first one is Cheng 2 Zi. I guess that its English name is Orange. It has thick pericarp and big size. Usually, we cut it into pieces and then eat it. Or we make orange juice. It tastes sweet.

Dec 1, 2008 01:24
  • XIAOXIAO
This is Ju Zi. I guess it is called Chinese tangerine (mandarin tagerine).

It is smaller than Cheng Zi. And it tastes sourer. By the way, it has thin skin. We usually peel the skin and then eat them one by one.

Dec 1, 2008 01:25
  • XIAOXIAO
Do you eat green tangerine? Someone said it was not ripe yet. But I see many sellers sell green tangerine. It also tastes sour.

Dec 1, 2008 01:29
  • XIAOXIAO
There is another kind of tangerine (Don't know if it should be called tangerine). It is very small but tastes sweet.

Dec 1, 2008 01:36
  • XIAOXIAO
The last one---Gan 1 Zi. There are two kinds of them. One looks like Cheng Zi (orange) but with thin skin. Some tastes sweet, some tastes sour. I can't find a picture for it.

The other kind is called Lu 2 Gan 1 in Chinese. It looks like tangerine with thin skin. And you can take off the skin easily by hand. It tastes sweet. My favourite, hehe.

Dec 1, 2008 07:10
  • JABAROOTOO
In English these are all called Citrus fruit from the latin for citric acid which they all contain and includes lemons, limes, grapefruit etc

Oranges are orange and round, can be both sweet or a little sour have thick or this skins, some are juicy and others less so.
We have different names for different kinds of oranges. Some are better for juicing to drink while others are better for peeling and eating

This is the Wikipedia definition of The tangerine (Citrus reticulata) is an orange- or red-colored citrus fruit. Tangerines are smaller than most oranges, and the skin of some varieties will peel off more easily. The taste is often less sour, or tart, than that of an orange.

Next is the Mandarin which are smaller and flatter in shape and all the above applies to them as well. There are many different varieties of Mandarin The last photo looks like a loose skinned mandarin which is great to peel and eat.

Limes are are green, and a little tangy, often used in Thai food and goes well with coconut

The smallest of the citrus is the kumquat which bitter and used to make Marmalade jam These trees are often used as colourful ornamental potted plants for small gardens.
Dec 2, 2008 03:54
  • XIAOXIAO
Thanks for explaining, Jabarootoo.

"The smallest of the citrus is the kumquat which bitter and used to make Marmalade jam These trees are often used as colourful ornamental potted plants for small gardens."

I know this. But it tastes good. Very sweet.
Aug 16, 2009 22:47
GUEST39171 does a green tangerine ripen? the tree is loaded down with tangerines so we had to pull some off from the limbs. thank u
Post a Reply to: What's the difference between orange and tangerine?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code