Menu
info needed for shanghai, hangzhou and its outskirt
Dec 16, 2008 11:25
  • ILOVE2TRAVEL
Hi i need some advise for my upcoming china trip. I already bought a ticket to hangzhou next year sept. My trip is 8D7N and currently i am planning to go to shanghai, hangzhou, suzhou, zhouzhuang and shaoxing.

Is it worth a visit to zhouzhuang and shaoxing? Do i have enough time to visit all of the above?? Besides visiting the scenery there i also wish to do some shopping to buy some clothing (sept is there any sales for summer clothing??)

maybe u all able to give me some opinion. thanks.
Dec 16, 2008 13:09
GUEST65124 Maybe you are trying to cover too much in a week, you also need to think of transportation from place to place. It does take some time although there are very frequent bus service between these cities. From my own experience I would suggest you try to keep to a couple of places. Hangzhou has enough sights to keep you busy for a week! . West Lake has many sites and don't miss Longjing tea area. From Hangzhou one can go to Shaoxing on a day trip (though a rather full day), or do it as an overnight excursion. I find Shaoxing a gem because it is a city where people live and work. Walking along the canals is truly an exerience. I found Zhouzhang completely overrun by tourists on the other hand, a complete disappointment. Suzhou is also very nice with its gardens and you can spend a couple of days there. Again there are some lovely walks within the old city along canals. Also the Leaning pagoda is a wonderful place for an outing. Shanghai is of course a dynamic modern city and definitely on the list for many tourists. However, one day is probably enough. Shopping is very easy in any of the cities (indeed also tiny Shaoxing has some nice malls) with lot's of shopping opportunity either in shopping malls or in the "main street" shops. Do remember that in September it is hot, 30-35 centigrades is normal, when making your schedule. Enjoy these lovely cities.
Dec 17, 2008 07:21
  • ELLYSE
I would skip Zhouzhuang and put in Xitang instead. Shaoxing might be a little dull if you're not interested in Chinese literature and intellectuals.
I would perhaps do Hangzhou -- bus -- Suzhou (1 day) -- D train -- Shanghai (3 days) -- bus -- Jiashan (transit only) -- taxi -- Xitang (1 day including overnight) -- taxi -- Jiashan (transit only) -- Hangzhou (2 days).
Yes, they should still be selling some summer clothing in September.
Dec 18, 2008 05:48
  • ILOVE2TRAVEL
thanks for the reply.

Ellyse: what to see in xitang? as i search from the internet i found out that zhouzhuang is quite pretty and i have an interest to go there. Why do u recommend to skip it? Is a day trip to suzhou is enough or u recommend 2d1nite?

besides that, any recommend hotel (no need to be expensive just 2 or 3 star is ok) to stay in hangzhou and shanghai? Any recommend food and places to dine? Besides that it is recommended to buy clothing in hangzhou or shanghai? which part offer a good prices (i am not looking for branded clothing, just normal nice clothing will do)..... Which street do i exactly go to buy those clothing? and also the opening hour for those shops.....
Dec 18, 2008 05:51
  • ILOVE2TRAVEL
sept is summer?????? i thought sept should be autumn already???
Dec 18, 2008 22:01
  • ELLYSE
End of summer, start of autumn. So you should still find end-of-season sales for summer clothing.
Zhouzhuang isn't the only pretty place. It was the earliest to be developed and thus too crowded and touristy. Xitang really doesn't pale in comparison:http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f2e9f/
Up to you to spend 1 or 2 days in Suzhou, depending on your sightseeing interests and pace.
There're a lot of hotels which would fit your criteria in Hangzhou and Shanghai, and too many restaurants to name. Your general accommodation, food and shopping questions would be answered by a browse through guidebooks in print or online.
Dec 21, 2008 10:35
  • CHASE
Hi! Does anyone here have a knowledge about jiangshan city in zhejiang province..I hope anyone here can provide a help for transportation info from Quzhou airport going to jiangshan city by any means bus, train or taxi...I've tried to travel alone once before but that was from shanghai to hangzhou with some helpful info...Actually i'm from SG...Thanks.
Dec 22, 2008 08:32
  • ELLYSE
Not sure about from Quzhou airport, but it's apparently about 10-15 RMB by taxi from Quzhou train station to downtown Jiangshan. I think it's a 5 RMB, 5-min bus ride from Quzhou airport to Quzhou train station.
Post a Reply to: info needed for shanghai, hangzhou and its outskirt
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code