Menu
What do western guys really think about nudity?
Dec 18, 2008 03:06
  • LEONARDO
Many of my Chinese peers who like watching western movies particularly American movies have got such impressions: westerners are very bold and open; westerners are plagued with viewing much nudity in their lives. Some people who grew up in East Asian cultures even joked about that you can see bare bottoms everywhere in the streets of western countries. Well, recently, the naked "Virgin Maria" on the cover of Mexican "Playboy" stired a wave of public sentiment. The controversy is also widely discussed on many Chinese web forums.

This time, westerners' reaction to the naked Maria photo has somewhat conveyed to some easterners that the display of naked body in public is indecent in westerners' eyes.

Well, a key argument among some Chinese internet users is: the naked picture is about "Virgin Maria", which defies westerners' cultural and religious belief. If it was somebody else,(not a religous figure), it wouldn't have caused the westerners' public resentment. They would enjoy the nude picture. Just think about why Playboy Magazine is legal and popular in America. What do westerners really think of nudity?

In recent years, nudity seems to be a profitable bussiness in China. Celebs (particularly female celebs) wear scanty clothes to grab the public's attention.
In everyday life, low-rise pants and scanty flimsy clothes are catching on in Chinese streets. "Breast cleavage" and "butt cleavage" are often exposed on numerous formal public occassions. A number of people attribute the indecency in China to the import of western culture. What are your attitudes? What do western guys think of nudity shown on different occasions?
Dec 18, 2008 20:31
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Although films with nudity are readily available, there is a very strict movie rating system here. The only time you will be able to watch nudity is if you really want to watch it. You'd have to see the movie rating on the DVD cover. Playboy channels on cable are subscription based. If you subscribe, it means you really want to watch it.

I've said it before. You will not see nudity everywhere here. Also, indecent clothing is in the eyes of the beholder. Some indigenous people wear almost nothing but I wouldn't classify them as indecent. In fact, indecency lies in the person who sees it as such. The person who barely wears anything might not see it that way. That person might see it as just normal. As for blaming the Western culture about anything 'bad' that happens in China, think about it. You have the choice to adapt that culture or not.
Dec 19, 2008 09:10
As for blaming the Western culture about anything 'bad' that happens in China, think about it. You have the choice to adapt that culture or not.

And that's the naked truth! he he

Alan
Dec 20, 2008 20:53
GUEST236 Western society is prone to moral degeneration and corruption. Individualism and money worship is the source of the evil. Before China's reform and openness to the western world, Chinese people had high moral standard and virtue. As a collectivist society, people in that era are more caring about each other. Although the material life is not as rich as that in today's society, the spiritual life is full. The interpersonal relation is easy and pure. Now, people have more material stuff, a majority of Chinese care about nothing but money. People become more indifferent and cold to each other. This is the side-effect of China's 30-year's openness to the west.
Dec 21, 2008 16:36
  • COOLSPRINGS
I agree with SHE and WESTGASS, what has happened badly in China is deep-rooted bad habits that used to be hidden by high-handed policy of communist government. Materialism crashes moral standards of persons with low qualities.
Dec 30, 2008 08:49
  • APAULT
I do not equate nudity with a lack of moral standards. I was born naked, just like everyone else and see nothing wrong with nudity. If you have a different opinion, fine that's exactly what it is - another opinion, but your standards are neither higher nor lower than mine. If China wishes to ban nudity or semi nudity, that is a matter for the government listening to the voice of its people. At the moment it appears there is a willingness to allow some nudity.

For our guest to suggest that the period from 1949 was a period of high morality and life was pure and simple, really only says he/she has not read very widely on the subject... how many kids turned in their parents in the name of the cultural revolution, how many brothels were closed/allowed open in the golden era he/she referred to? Married men attending brothels is, to me, a much bigger issue than nudity.
Jan 4, 2009 22:55
GUESTEXAS Naah we don't really like or encourage nudity at all, coming from a Judeo-Christian culture and all. But what the heck, times have changed eh? so i'll just have to live with it. Looking forward to tonight; there better be at least 2 stark naked 20 year old girls in my room... MUA-HAHAHAHAHAHA....
Jan 5, 2009 10:34
  • SETH
I am totally FOR nudity as long as you do it fully clothed!
Jan 5, 2009 23:45
  • DODGER
Please don’t think of me as a body shape fascist but some bodies are best left covered.
What about mine you may well ask? Michael Angelo’s David comes to mind.
Dodger.
Jan 6, 2009 06:11
  • CARLOS
"I do not equate nudity with a lack of moral standards. I was born naked, just like everyone else and see nothing wrong with nudity."
I agree that. Heck, I even sleep nude.

My way of thinking to draw the moral line for nudity is that as long as it comes from people themself it is fine. If in any ways forced for it, the line is stepped over.

Carlos
Jan 6, 2009 20:56
  • COOLSPRINGS
>>Married men attending brothels is, to me, a much bigger issue than nudity. <<

Well said, Paul!

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do western guys really think about nudity?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code