Menu
Watching romantic sitcoms spoils your love life
Dec 21, 2008 01:06
  • METEOR
Do you like watching romantic sitcoms or movies? If you do, be carful, it may spoil your love life in the real world, a research by Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh has suggested. The experts found that people who like watching romantic love movies or sitoms have unrealistic expectations on love. They discovered that fans of films like Runaway Bride and Notting Hill often have problems to communicate with their partners. Many fans believed if someone is meant to be with you. they should know what you want without you telling them.

The researchers said: "Marriage counsellors often see couples who believe that sex should always be perfect, and if someone is meant to be with you then they will know what you want without you needing to communicate it. "We now have some emerging evidence that suggests popular media play a role in perpetuating these ideas in people's minds. The problem is that while most of us know that the idea of a perfect relationship is unrealistic, some of us are still more influenced by media portrayals than we realise."

"Films do capture the excitement of new relationships but they also wrongly suggest that trust and committed love exist from the moment people meet, whereas these are qualities that normally take years to develop." Fans of romantic sitcoms strongly believed in predestined love.
Dec 21, 2008 21:03
  • SHESGOTTOBE
There is nothing to spoil! Wahahaahah! :P
Dec 22, 2008 00:20
  • GARYKINKADE
That's why my wife and I just sit in front of the microwave and watch the food rotate, instead of watching "sitcoms" on tv.
Dec 23, 2008 07:14
That would be more entertaining Gary, and unlike " sitcoms " the food can repeat on you!

Alan
Dec 25, 2008 21:24
  • GARYKINKADE
Er....Ah....yes ALAN, I believe you are absolutely correct.
Dec 28, 2008 22:01
GUESTCOMMA People who watch too many romantic sitcoms become unrealistic. The road to mature love is tortuous. Romantic sitcoms often neglect the obstacles. Those who often watch romantic sitcoms just want to " be in love in the unrealistic fantasy world."
Jan 2, 2009 06:40
  • APAULT
For many years I have suggested that romance novels and sitcoms are women's equivalent of men's ***. Both provide unrealistic expectations.
Jan 8, 2009 03:45
  • SUNNYDREAM
Yea, the romantic love story is unrealistic. However, we need fantasy to make us relaxed because the reality is too harsh. Maybe, men don't like romantic sitcoms because they are emotionless. Certainly, men seldom get the romantic tearjerkers.
Post a Reply to: Watching romantic sitcoms spoils your love life
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code