Menu
Visiting Shanghai for 9 days
Dec 31, 2008 00:42
  • IAMCHICITY
Hello,

My brother, cousin, and I are visiting Shanghai for the 1st time. We plan to stay for 9 days. From 1-29-09 through 2-07-09. We can speak limited Chinese, we dont have any friends there, and we are completely clueless. We are looking to budget but not super budget. We are male, between the ages of 21-26. We just want a memorable trip.

In what part of Shanghai should i book my hotel? I would like it to be in the center of everything where traveling is made easy.

I love the night life and i would like to know if there are any great hip-hop clubs/pubs in the Shanghai location. If possible, provide the name/location of the club/pub. What time do clubs usually start and what time do clubs usually end?

My cousin is real fashion guru and we would love to shop at some real cool places that are bape/bbc related. We would also like to shop at some places that are boutique like. Places where the brand name isn't really commercialized and prices aren't very high end.

My brother loves to play video games and loves electronics. I know places like hong kong and taiwan have special streets where the entire streets sell electronics and video games. I was wondering if there are places like this in Shanghai.

I, my self, LOVE to eat. Are there any honorable mentions where i can get some amazing food without paying an arm and a leg.

Are there any night markets in Shanghai? If so, which ones are worth checking out? What time do they usually start and end?

I know these are a lot of questions to answer. Sorry for the headache and an advance thanks for the help! If there are additional suggestions, please do provide them. We are pretty open minded. Only things we're not interested in are sight seeing and visiting rural places. Thank you!
Jan 1, 2009 04:11
  • ELLYSE
I would prefer to stay in the French Concession area, or around the People's Square end of Nanjing Lu pedestrian street. Definitely NOT the Bund.
For nightlife, you might want to look at this directory: http://www.smartshanghai.com
For boutiques, try the French Concession area around Changle Lu, Maoming Nanlu, Xinle Lu and Shaanxi Nanlu, all walking distance from Shaanxi Nanlu metro stop on line 1. "Aren't very high end" is vague, cheap/expensive is a relative concept.
For electronic games, try the electronic malls clustered around Xujiahui.
Amazing food all over Shanghai. Sorry, too many to list for you. There're websites and books on this topic though.
Night markets... no, this isn't Taiwan. You might want to check out Wujiang Lu for some street snacks, but I think it'll usually run out of steam around 2200.
Post a Reply to: Visiting Shanghai for 9 days
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code