Menu
Addresses in China
Jan 2, 2009 08:50
  • MCKNIB
How Do Folks,

Im brand new here so I've got a question some of you may be able to help with.
Can you tell the difference between a home and business address as easily as you can in the West?.

Ive been confused with some addresses Ive received for business etc

This one was given as a home address?

Attn: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rm. 602, Unit 6, Bldg. 5,
TianHe Home, LiShan Dist.,
Anshan,

or am I sadly just a typical suspicious westerner haha
Obviously Ive removed some of it

Thanks
Clueless

Jan 2, 2009 11:05
  • YINDUFFY
Most mail is delivered to the persons assigned workplace rather than their dwelling.For example a letter or package would be delivered to the hospital the doctor worked in rather than his hospital supplied housing. This may be changing.
Jan 3, 2009 05:26
  • GAFFER
I would say that identifying business/home addresses is very difficult in Chinese cities unless you know the area is a business district, but even then is still difficult. Many smaller businesses or branches of larger ones are run from office/apartments, (home office). Many residential apartment blocks are simply numbered or lettered. Many workers live in factory dormitories or business accommodation. However, a room number rather than apartment number might indicate a business address.
Jan 5, 2009 11:41
  • APAULT
It coukld easily be a private adddress, as Gaffer says many workers live in company accommodation.

But what I also notice is that there is no street in the address, nor is there a province or postcode.

I always ask for an address in Chinese and print and paste it onto the envelope. I am not confident that a typical Chinese postie will deliver an address in English/Pinyin.
Jan 6, 2009 04:28
  • GAFFER
I'm with Paul on that one. I stick two address labels on mail to China. One in English to get it out of the UK and one in Chinese characters for the other end.

Whilst on the subject of mail I would warn anyone who sends (or has sent) packages from China that the post office clerk may well want to inspect the contents. This can be embarrassing when standing at the front of a long queue while your personal items are held up and scruitinized for all to see...as my partner found out when she decided to send me some underpants :o)
Jan 7, 2009 07:05
  • APAULT
In my experience, post offices have always demanded to see the contents of my packages and have required me to buy their boxes - often too large which makes it hard to pack well. No wonder the international courier companies are thriving.
Post a Reply to: Addresses in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code