Menu
Can you help with my friend and myselfs plan
Jan 2, 2009 14:38
  • YANGSHAO
Hey
Myself and my friend are planning on going on a 1 month trip to china at the end of our sixth year(last year of high school in scotland). We were wondering how much in both english pounds sterling and Chinese RMB it would take to live like a local-man comfortably. Also we were wondering where would be good to stay. We were thinking of renting an apartment in a rural area near a few cities. Any ideas.All help is grately appreciated.

Thanks
Yangshao
Jan 3, 2009 13:38
  • YANGSHAO
Anyone got any suggestions
Jan 4, 2009 02:30
  • YANGSHAO
Come on people. There must be soemone who can help us?
Jan 4, 2009 13:05
GUEST24662 Hi,i suggest you live in Guangzhou or Shenzhen city,because they are the nice city for living,as the warm weather.......Shanghai is also a good city to live but it is very cold in Shanghai,and everything is expensive in Shanghai.
I am living in Guangzhou now,i have been in Shenzhen and Shanghai,but i like Guangzhou too much.
Jan 4, 2009 14:43
  • YANGSHAO
Come on people all i need to know is how much would i need to live comfortably for a month and also where is the best place for rental of an appartment in a rural location near some major cities.Please help!!!!
Jan 4, 2009 23:29
  • DODGER
Yangshao, your questions are too broad to be able to give any definitive answers to
First decide on an area or major city and then plan from that point.
What’s your definition of “comfortable’? People in rural areas live on a few cents a day.
You will not find English spoken in rural areas. Don’t take this the wrong way but I take it that you do not speak Chinese.
There are small inns in the country that rent out rooms for around $2.00 per night but, 1) You wont find them as they don’t have any signs (even if you could read them) 2) Foreigners are not supposed to stay in them
You may be better off finding a Youth Hostel to stay in a major city. I understand that they are reasonably priced, and work your way from there. Your entry card on arrival will ask you to give an address as you are supposed to register with the local police.
Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Dodger.
Jan 5, 2009 00:24
  • EXECUTIVE
Beijing: Here you will find a wealth of information about the city, its scenic spots, transportation, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife, with pictures as well as various tour plans and hotels options.
Shanghai: As the most cosmopolitan city in China, Shanghai attracts people from all over the world. We offer comprehensive travel information about the city to help you make the most of your visit.
Tibet: Tibet is no doubt exotic and full of mystery; a trip to this wonderland will leave you with an indelible life long memory. Find preparation advice, Tibet travel permit and more on this site.
Xian: China's most ancient city that is rich in cultural relics, historical sites, such as the Terracotta Warriors and Horses, the Ming City Wall, and the starting point of the fabulous Silk Road.

which city do you want?
there are so many standard.
Jan 5, 2009 11:03
  • APAULT
Impatience of youth! We don't all log in everyday, Jimmy.

As already said, it depends on what you want to do. I easily live on 1000 rmb per 6 days. That's ten quid a day in round figures. You can spend less, but what's the point of tryting to save a pound or two a day? That's just 30 quid or so for the whole trip - you can just skip one Saturday night at the pub to pay for it.

Hostels are a good way ton start and are from 2.50 to 5.00 pounds a night for members (5 pound in China). Chaep hotels are typoically 50 tom 80 rmb a night but there are cheaper, but not always easy to find without speaking Chinese and some are downright disgusting. You are not likely to be able to rent a flat for such a short period. It is possible to stay in rural homes, I am told, but I have never done it. Transport: go to the train tab/icon near the top of this page and do a search. Hard seat prices are the cheapest butb are not always available..even when listed. Buses are usu a little dearer, but vary in price - and it is not always easy to shop around. However if you can get to the edge of town onb the right non freeway road you can hail the more local buses which are cheaper... but it is not always that easy for the inexperienced China traveller who does not speak Chinese. Hitch hiking IS possible but some drivers will expect payment. Don't use a thumb, but wave like u might to a taxi. I have only ever met one hitch hiker and spoken to one other.
Feb 1, 2009 08:14
  • JOSHIRV57
APAULT and DODGER Its a shame ,your not broad minded enough to answer a decent question without making a story out of it. The poor man is certainly
better off in not listening to the two of you,sputter and spout,with ridiculous stories of Ancient and Modern Woes of Yore. If you cant be beneficial in your comments
why cant you consider this. Keep your opinions to yourself and relate to the questions asked.
Post a Reply to: Can you help with my friend and myselfs plan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code