Menu
Obtaining a visa in Melbourne, Australia
Jan 4, 2009 16:52
  • BOBERT
G'day everyone. I travel to China quite often and normally apply for and receive a 30 day, mulit entry 12 month visa. My last trip to China was in September 2008 when I could only apply for a single entry 30 day visa and for that I was required to supply an itinerary and a list of hotel bookings. I was told that these requirements and restrictions would be lifted after the August Olympics and the September Para Olympics. Does anyone know if they have been yet?

P.S. There is only a recorded message answering at the China Consulate in Melbourne so that is not an option.
Jan 5, 2009 10:24
  • APAULT
You should not have any problem now. About 3 months ago, in the first week after the Olympic restrictions were lifted, I obtained a multiple entry 3 month tourist visa (L) from the Sydney office (giving me a total potential period in China of 9 months). Longer durations were available.
Jan 5, 2009 15:22
  • BOBERT
Thanks for your help Paul. Consulates in different cities seem to operate independently so I'm not convinced Melbourne will be as accommodating as Sydney. I applied for my last visa in Melbourne about the same time as you did in Sydney but unlike you, I had to furnish a full itinerary and proof of hotel bookings. Single entry, 30 days was all I get get. The consulate in Melbourne seems to arbitrarily decide what conditions to apply. My problem is compounded by the fact that I have just received a new and hence empty passport which will not reveal any previous long term visas haveing been granted. Does anyone here know the current conditions in Melbourne? Maybe I should send my passport to Sydney instead.
Jan 6, 2009 08:53
  • JABAROOTOO
As far as I know you have to apply in the state you live. We have to use Brisbane now not Canberra which was where I sent mine for four years in the past.
Jan 7, 2009 05:58
  • APAULT
If there really is a difference between consulates and you are supposed to apply through your own State's consulate, you could consider using an agent in an alternative State. There are at least 2 agents in the same street as the Sydney visa office.
Post a Reply to: Obtaining a visa in Melbourne, Australia
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code