Menu
working on hainan teaching english
Jan 6, 2009 11:51
guest17848 Hi i'm a south african surfboard shaper wanting to travel and teach english and perhaps some surfing in hainan i think i would prefer sanya if possible. my surfing experience is good yet i still need to brush up on the teaching since the last time i did was in hong kong mainly to kids between 6 and 10 at an intermediate level very informal. I also did some freelance "business english" lessons to adults. I would really like to experience living in hainan for a year so any advice on jobs and accommodation visa's and good surf!! would be greatly appreciated :- }) john
Jan 7, 2009 06:09
  • APAULT
You should be able to get a job in Haikou (indeed Sanya too, but I don't know anyone there). I can give you a contact in Haikou: to a person whjo runs a language centre and is often looking for foreign English teachers. Msg me if you want more info.

Not exactly a surfing area, but it doesn't take long to go down the east coast by bus. There are a couple of blokes that I know of down there running a small business teaching surfing. However, Sanya is closer.
Jan 7, 2009 08:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Google google google

Teaching is available but more so in Haikou

As for surfing it is seasonal of course but not BIG anywhere in China. Incidentally, my brother also shapes boards in Australia and occasionally abroad.

If you google you can find out about one of the surfing breaks just north on Sanya about 100kms. It's a pretty little spot with nice waves when it is breaking. One of the hostels runs trips up there when the surf is 'up' but you won't find much in the way of surfing gear so bring what you need.

I'm hoping to make it down the Hainan this year and would like to check it out. I body surf when I get the chance. Only managed it once on the south coast near Zhuhai near Macau and HK
Jan 7, 2009 20:15
  • JABAROOTOO
PS

Shi Mei Beach is Hosting a Surf Comp this coming weekend Jan 10/11

Jan 20, 2009 23:18
GUEST95235 l ived in Hainan, Da Dong Hai, last year. Surf is good but typical island climate where it seems like it is just too small to stay there for to long. I plan on getting another small palce down there more towards the summer to get away from mainland China.

You should contact Brandon at SurfingHainan.com. Check out his website and then contact him. He will be able to help you out. Also, he is the one who hosted the suf contest.
Jan 24, 2009 01:11
GUEST24148 thanks so much for your help it saves me a lot of time and its really nice that good people like to help cheers
Jan 24, 2009 01:14
GUEST24148 thanks for your reply it's very helpful i didn't know there was anything decent breaking off macau i did surf hong kong a lot though at fung bay which was surprisingly good
Jan 24, 2009 01:16
GUEST24148 thanks for your help any contacts would be useful so if you find the time i'd be grateful. thanks for the advice on the surfing too
Feb 8, 2010 21:02
GUEST48177 Just picking up where I can on info related to Haninan and came across this site. Hi Albie here from New Zealand and in Hianan on Holiday checking my partners home town out for a couple of weeks.
Wondering about the Teaching ops here and or contacts. Would also like to do a an English speaking tour / adventurebut being in the mature aged group wondering if you may be able to suggest anything while here. Here for two weeks.

Thanks for your time I know your posting on here was a while ago but who know?

My email addy is gmail.com|albiefraz Hope to here back from you thanks.
Feb 13, 2010 07:59
GUEST73088 You might pick up something in Haikou...doubtful though as it is halfway through the school year...wait till you finish your 2 weeks and see if you are still interested after you start too realize that if you want more than swimming and getting a tan ,Hainan is not the place to be.As proven by the other teachers that have come here and bailed after 2 months of boredom.
English tours..not likely but they do cater to the Ruskies..how's your Russian?
Oct 12, 2014 03:08
GUEST16348 Can you get like a open work visa and do freelace .
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: working on hainan teaching english
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code