Menu
Nanjing vs Dalian
Jan 13, 2009 04:32
  • HUGEKEBAB
Hi,

I'm currently living in South Korea, teaching English and really want a change of direction.

I'm seriously considering moving to China to learn Mandarin. I'm a beginner.

I have had Nanjing or Dalian recommended to me as apparently university fees and living costs are lower in these two cities.

What is the general opinion of these two places? How do they compare to other Chinese cities?

Any info you have on any of the above would be fantastic.

Much appreciated

Jan 19, 2009 02:27
  • LEMONCACTUS
As I have visited (not lived in) both of these cities, I'll give you my brief thoughts.

Nanjing is a nice city, located in the south east and with a great deal of history, including old city wall etc. Its known as one of the four furnaces in China and so if you don't like heat it may not be a good choice. Putonghua (mandarin Chinese) is spoken less and less by locals the further you get from Beijing. This means the locals in the street, when they chat, won't be speaking putonghua, but their own dialect which will be almost incomprehensible. No central heating in the winter.

Dalian is a coastal city - it's by the sea - cooler in summer and very cold in winter. Has central heating in the winter. Modern city, big expat population (relatively speaking) and very popular, good seafood. More chance of hearing putonghua spoken outside the classroom, and being able to understand what locals say to each other etc.

They're both pretty big cities in China, I'd imagine living costs are similar. I'm not sure about uni costs being lower, perhaps lower than Shanghai and Beijing, but otherwise...
Post a Reply to: Nanjing vs Dalian
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code