Menu
Who cooks?
Jan 17, 2009 05:30
  • GAFFER
This time last year I was in Guangzhou "enjoying" the coldest winter for 50 years. For the uninitiated, few apartments in southern China have heating. However, I was fortunate to be there for Chinese New Year. Again for the uninitiated, this involves much eating, drinking and general celebrating for about two weeks. We were fortunate to have several dinner invitations, some in restaurants and some at peoples homes. I was interested to note that out of four couples it was the man who did most of the (excellent) cooking. The fourth couple shared the cooking. These were not simple meals but several different dishes with all the extras. All the couples were in their 30's and the girls admitted that their men were better in the kitchen than they were. Was this just a coincidence? Do I assume that the pressure to study now leaves little time for moms to teach their daughters to cook? If so who teaches the boys :o)
Jan 17, 2009 21:42
  • LEONARDO
Who cooks?

Hi Gaffer, it is an interesting question. I have also noticed that many husbands are better cooks than their wives. I think it is not a coincidence but a reflection of women’s status in Chinese society. For a long time, the traditional gender roles in Chinese society are: “the man (husband) plows, the woman (wife) weaves.” In other words, men are mainly responsible for so-called important things; women are responsible for household chores. In a sense, women are chained to kitchens, hence better cooks. As the founding of New China in 1949, women were liberated to have their own career or profession. Especially, as the competition in modern China is becoming fierce, the increasing financial pressure on average families needs both husbands and wives to work to support the families. Women have less time to do their daily chores. Men began sharing the load in both doing daily chores and cooking. I must admit (though I am a Chinese man myself) that men are no longer the center of the family. Today, the mentality of many Chinese men has changed. In the past, doing housework (looking after children, cooking, washing clothes) seems to be a humiliated thing for men; while today (as I observe from men around me) many a man no longer has the biased attitude on managing housework.
Jan 18, 2009 03:55
  • ARAGORN
Nowadays, few girls can cook and do the sewing work. I adore girls who can cook and do the traditional sewing work.
Jan 19, 2009 21:58
  • JIMMYB
Gaffer, you might not know that many Chinese girls set one requirement for their husbands-to-be, that is cooking delicious food. Maybe, a few years later, men and women will change their social roles: men stay at home to do house chores, look after the babies etc and women do jobs outside to support their families. This is horrible!

All the couples were in their 30's and the girls admitted that their men were better in the kitchen than they were.

Do you know why? Most girls are the only chidlren in their families. They have been spoiled by their parents. At home, their parents prepare everything well for them. In today's world, it is hard to find a girl who can do cooking, knitting and sewing.
Jan 20, 2009 21:27
  • ZOEY
Do I assume that the pressure to study now leaves little time for moms to teach their daughters to cook? If so who teaches the boys :o)

Who teaches the boys? None. They teach them selves.
Post a Reply to: Who cooks?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code