Menu
need serious help with an address
Jan 18, 2009 21:34
guest35220 hi

i am wondering if i could get help here, or someone could please point me in a right direction about how to correctly translate and explain a Chinese address.

it is for my friend, and i know it is valid since she has been living tehre several years and receives regular Chinese mail mailed within China. problem is, that when we translate it completely doesnt make sense.

specifically, i need to be able to send her mail from USA, to Baiyun, Guangzhou.

here, my address is as follows in the following format:

Firstname Lastname
Building Number, Street Name Apt. # if applicable
City Name, State, Zip code
USA

for example
Mr. First Last
9999 Funky St. #22
Valencia, CA 91356
USA

Now here is the Chinese address in question, i changed the numeric values on it but the rest is real and i just cant get this right.

广州市 白云区 增槎路 螺勇街 12号 749室

What i translate it to is:

Pinyin : Shi 503, Hao 29 Luo Yong Jie, Zeng Cha Lu, Bai Yun Qu, Guang Zhou Shi

my closest english equivalent is:

Room 502, 29 Luoyong St
Zeng Cha Road
Baiyun Area, Guangzhou City

now this has many problems.
1st, both, "lu" and "jie" mean street. needless to say you can not have 1 building on same street. there can be only one.

2nd, we can not find the equivalent of a zip code for Baiyun. I found 510000 posted by this site as well as postal services etc. but no one anywhere seems to have one specifically for Baiyun Area. is there one ? or do i just use the general Guangzhou code ?

next, my post services do not rtecognize Baiyun at all, only 510000 Guangzhou for city, and Guangdong for province. in the Chinese address there isnt even any mention of the Guangdong province.

I am having real difficulties putting this into correct usable format. could someone thats familiar with this please help ?

I know this is a travel site, so maybe can someone please give me a link to a site where I may get a correct answer to this ?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2009 21:37
GUEST35220 rrr, about the building, i meant "lu" and "jie" both mean street so how can one building be on 2 different streets ?

i am getting tired, sorry

but still really really need help with this.

thank you.
Jan 18, 2009 22:06
GUEST5468 广州市 白云区 增槎路 螺勇街 12号 749室
Room 749,
No. 12 Luo Yong Street,
Zeng Cha Road,
Bai Yun Area,
Guangzhou City, P. R.C

'rrr, about the building, i meant "lu" and "jie" both mean street so how can one building be on 2 different streets ?”

In Chinese address, “路” and “街” are not necessarily equal. It is hard to distinguish the difference. In the above address, it just refers to two places. Zeng Cha Road is bigger area which including the Luo Yong Street.

510165 is the zip code of 白云区增槎路.
Jan 18, 2009 22:55
GUEST35220 Ok, great, that is getting me somewhere, thanks a lot

so:
Room 749
No. 12 Luo Yong Street
Zeng Cha Road
Bai Yun Area
Guangzhou City, Guangdong 510165
China

is probably what i should put oon address on my side when sending things, does that look and sound right ?
Jan 19, 2009 02:07
  • LEMONCACTUS
Assuming the address is correct, the format you've just posted above is fine, and should get there.
Jan 19, 2009 03:35
  • GAFFER
I would recommend that you print both English and Chinese character address on the envelope/package. If you send with only English it may be delayed while it is translated. I think also that Peoples Republic of China (PRC) is preferred
Post a Reply to: need serious help with an address
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code